Some people take better care of their pets than they do themselves. Their animals can run like the wind and they can barely make it up a flight of stairs.
-Jim RohnThat’s right, and my Greyson can make it out the open front door in a flash. This time it went unnoticed as Ab and her friend headed out to the movies last night. It had to have cost him at least a few of his 9 lives in this weather, since it’s rained and rained and rained. For days and days. He’s lucky it didn’t turn to snow.
I thought neutering was supposed to settle little boy kitties down a bit. At six months old, he’s found the outside to be rather interesting and he desperately wants to get out and explore. Of course, mama won’t have that, because I expect them to be totally indoor cats. Greyson just has to push the envelope.
Ab and Cassie had to be giggling in anticipation of a girl’s night out as they headed off to see Hitch, Will Smith’s latest film and we suspect that’s when the culprit made his escape. I was down the mountain with a friend, at the annual Home Show. Ab and I returned home about the same time, but it wasn’t until about an hour later that we noticed Greyson wasn’t anywhere to be found. We searched everywhere in the house and then headed out in the weather to see if he was somewhere outside. It was pouring. Freezing rain, with gutters nearly overflowing with rushing water. I got in the car and drove slowing around the neighborhood with my bright lights, but I couldn’t find him. We’d call out his name from the front porch, to no avail. All night long, we’d check for him at the front door, but no Greyson.
I was just crying and heartsick that this very loved and extremely, well-taken-care-of-pet (just ask my vet) was likely to be coyote or owl food in no time, if he didn’t freeze to death or get swept away in flash floods. Fortunately for him, the Boxers, who love to terrorize cats and skunks, were hunkered down together for the stormy night in their insulated igloo and they didn’t see or hear him in the side yard.
This morning, while calling his name and following his cries, he was found with cold, wet paws, but no worse for the wear. After lots of warm hugs from his people, he decided to eat and play before curling up with his brother for a cozy nap.
I hope he’s learned a lesson about the great outdoors.
We’ll see.
In the meantime, I'll be working on getting up my stairs without huffing and puffing. :)


The little booger! Maybe the evil weather will make him think twice before shooting out the door again. My little guys sit at the patio doors and look lovingly outside, but after nearly thirty years of owning indoor cats, we've learned the art of keeping them on the desired side of the door when using it ourselves!
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of going up and down stairs, how is the ankle? Lisa :-]
Something tells me this little field trip will make him hungry for more.... hope FlyBoy and his Mom are doing okay. I think of both of you often.... Kristi
ReplyDeleteOh, that's happened to us before...our greyhound got lost overnight once. It was terrifying!!'
ReplyDelete