Wednesday, October 22, 2008

An Incredible Kindness

Recently, as you may be able to tell from my previous entry, I decided to join Al-Anon, which is a support group for family/friends of alcoholics/addicts. I will get to the dirty details in one of my future entries, but for now I want to share this from something I experienced at my 5th Al Anon meeting! I wrote this that night, but put it on my MySpace instead of my AOL journal.

It was an incredible kindness!

pay it forward logo Pictures, Images and Photos

Tonight I attended my 5th Al Anon meeting!

I know this support group is exactly where I need to be right now-due to some incredibly painful family situations that have almost put me over the edge. Learning to let go of "control" for someone who's always been in charge, is a lesson that I am struggling with....one day at a time.

I truly seek the serenity of knowing that I can and should work on me and let those who are addicts in my life choose their own path, however distructive it may be.

Anyway, tonight during the meeting, I asked about how to obtain some specific literature that was mentioned and shown. I was told that there would be books available for purchase and complimentary pamphlets on display at the conclusion of our session.

I left my purse on my chair and headed around the corner to the display and was given a copy of the pamphlet I asked about, and began to check out the books available for purchase. There were two books that I wanted to buy to help me in my learning process. So, I asked the woman how much they were and if they took checks, saying I was sure I didn't have much more than 6 or 8 bucks in cash with me.

She disappeared around the corner to ask someone and upon her return she told me that they could only take cash. She offered to let me pay what I could now and return with the balance owed next week. That was a workable solution in my eyes! These are some very trusting people.

It was then that I returned to my purse to get my money and found that I had more money than I realized. Sticking slightly out of a section of my purse with my folded money was a $20.00 bill.

I immediately felt puzzled as I just knew I didn't have that much money when I walked through the door! Was I getting Alzheimer's? I was positive that I didn't have that money when I walked in but I gathered up my money and returned happily to pay for my new books.

I said to the lady, "Well, I guess I had more cash than I thought!" And....I happily left with my purchases. I truly believe that one of the women who was asked if "they" could take a check for my book selections, placed that cash in my purse tonight. (I have done similar things for others, so I am reaping the benefits at a time when I sooooo needed some loving kindness expressed to me and my hurting heart!)

You know...that was such an appreciated kindness. My heart is filled with deep gratitude for her kind gesture! I will continue to pay it forward!

Goodnight all! I am off to study my new books!

Blessings my friends! And may you provide someone with such a wonderful kindness at just the right moment!

Here's some quotes on Kindness!

"In helping others, we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us." -- Flora Edwards

"There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up." -- John Andrew Holmes

"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind." -- Henry James"

Goodness is a special kind of truth and beauty. It is truth and beauty in human behavior." -- H. A. Overstreet

6 comments:

  1. You are taking a great journey. Don't forget to take pictures and send postcards along the way.

    Kindness of often overlooked until it becomes scarce in supply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful story of the act of kindness. It just lifts you, doesn't it!

    Wishing you the best with this situation.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your heartwarming story. Not that I've ever totally given up on humanity, but it does reinforce hope for the world, doesn't it? Have a great day!

    (and thanks for 'finding' me from j-land and giving me a chance to get to know you again!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent Entry. It left a great smile on my face. Hope all is well with you.

    M-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely story. I have spent the past few months helping my sister-in-law recover from her addiction, and through her and the NarAnon group I have met some truly amazing people I might never have met other wise.
    Dorn~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Al-Anon's a wonderful place. Sounds like you've found a great group. Although I don't miss the problems I was going through at the time, I sure miss the people.

    Sounds like you've already made some great friends!

    =) kris

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!