
I fell hard for my new man in Lake Tahoe!
Literally.
Just call me Grace.
Believe me....It was not pretty and the after effects aren't pretty either, unless of course you are fond of all the brilliant colors found in bruising.
After a fun-filled weekend of food, family, and some loose slot machines, we finished up our visit with an early Monday morning sight-seeing trip around the lake. The natural light and array of clouds made for some awesome photo ops. I was quickly inspired and absorbed in the incredible beauty of the Emerald Bay section of the lake, which was back-dropped by mountain peaks covered in generous amounts of brilliant, glistening snow. A snow boarder's paradise, even this late in the season.
As I headed back to the car with my mind on the collection of natural wonder I was able to capture with my camera and looking forward to the editing process later that day....I failed to watch my step off the curb into the parking lot. Apparently, my right ankle rolled as it's done sooooo many times before and well............
SPLAT!
My camera went flying....OH THE HORRORS....as I heard a familiar snap in my ankle and I groaned with shock and pain, knowing I likely UNDID everything that the orthopedic surgeon worked so hard to repair just a short 3 years ago!
Lake Tahoe was still cold enough and of course, the perfect place to wear my very fashionable and warm chocolate brown Uggs, although they did nothing to support my ankle during the fall. However, I have found that type of footwear to be much easier to remove when the ankle/foot is swelling to impressive proportions!

(You may want to remember that little bit of advice if you are prone to dramatic falls) You're welcome!
We made the long 6 hour trip...("TRIP"...I cringe and shudder hearing that word now!) home with my ankle elevated on the dash, covered with an icebag that looked like this......

I had no idea such old-fashioned things still existed, but that's all we could come up with at the local Walgreen's. It definitely served me well, in that "building a better mouse trap" sort of way......with just a couple of stops for fresh ice on our journey.
Regardless of our prompt attention to the swelling, my ankle was severely traumatized and today, FOUR DAYS after the fact, this is what it looks like.....
Lovely, isn't it?
I saw the doctor on Tuesday and was examined and X-Rayed, then placed in a removable, padded walking brace that goes knee high. I am awaiting a referral to Orthopedics. In the past they've immobilized my ankle in a fiberglass cast for 6 weeks and I doubt this time will be different, considering the fact I had previous surgery to repair significant damage from the same type of falls.
FALLSSSSSSS...as in MULTIPLE!!!
Arggghhhhh!
As if injuring my foot and ankle wasn't enough....upon my return home, my CPAP machine became possessed!!! As I settled in to bed that night, the machine began to turn on and off and deliver a variety of air pressure guaranteed to cause me to either explode or die from a lack of oxygen in the night! I decided to try my luck without it and was pleased to wake up ALIVE the next morning...having apparently inhaled EVERY time I exhaled...which is extremely important to us people with sleep apnea! Yesterday I arranged to receive a new machine, under the warranty! I look forward to sleeping well....with my new machine tonight!
In the meantime, I am going to do a little reading, then take a nap and I will get to posting some of those Tahoe photos later today! I am happy to say the camera survived! Whew!


Let me confirm what you already know--that does not look GOOD. So sorry:(
ReplyDeleteI just got my cast off yesterday from my fractured wrist. It was heaven being released from that dreadful thing.
ouch!! awe honey I am sending you a big hug, i am so sorry for your fall. I am so glad the rest of the trip went well. You know Cliff over at gone Bananas blog has sleep apnea and he had a recommendation for a decent machine a while back, maybe you could see what he uses and brainstorm on something that doesn't go hay wire, just a thought. How did your camera fare? I am almost afraid to ask after looking at your foot, stay off of it and keep it elevated, that is what my sponsor did to her ankle last year it was awful. Bless your heart, take care sweetie.
ReplyDeleteOh gosh...that looks so painful! I'm sorry you ended your "trip" with a bad fall. It sounds like it was nice other than that though! Hope you heal quickly.
ReplyDeleteOUCH! I broke mine in a wreck 4yrs ago still pain. This brings back memories, :( hang in there!
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain. I use to do this to one of my feet at least twice a year (knocking on wood) havent had any recent incidents as of late. Hoping you heal soon with no further complications. Take care and enjoy your weekend,
ReplyDeleteKatie
Oh that doesn't look good at all! I say that like you are clueless to the matter. I hope your keeping it up and that you don't let it get you down.
ReplyDeleteOk I always try to look on the bright side of things, and I say-well at least your toes looked pretty for the doctor. All kidding aside, that looks like it hurts big time. Hopefully the "trip" was fun besides this little mishap.
ReplyDeleteYikes! I hope you're at least having some luck w/ pain management, cuz that definitely looks like it hurts. Feel better soon!
ReplyDelete(And just think of all the reading you can get done! ; ) )
Oh, ouch-ouch-ouch !!! Urk. I am familiar with that type of rolling fall/pain and it can take your breath away.
ReplyDeleteThe picture of your heavily black-and-blue, swollen your ankle is a testament to how bad it must have felt and how tender it will still be, even in the cast !
Hope the new machine arrives on-time, and you can rest easily tonight.
Wanted to come by and thank you for the nice comment/sharing your story/encouragement you left on my blog this afternoon :)
Happy Mother's Day this weekend, and BE SAFE.
Loving Annie
O M G OWWWW
ReplyDeleteOoooooh! that ankle so does not look good. you poor dear!!
ReplyDeleteYikes. I surely hope you manage to be more careful around... oh... cliffs and stairs and such. ;) Hope you get some good pain killers because that shit looks uncomfortable. Then again, you could always steal some of Tam's. ;)))
ReplyDeleteLove,
Jamie
Oh honey. Your poor foot and ankle. :(
ReplyDeleteThat looks so incredibly painful.
I do hope it's not bothering you too much.
XOXO
Oh man, you're post started off so perfect with descriptions of beautiful Lake Tahoe...I couldn't wait to see those pics...but I'm so sorry to hear that your weekend getaway ended on such a bad note..feel better soon
ReplyDeleteDear, thanky for your kind comments. You made me giggle, imaging us two together steadying one another. LOL
ReplyDeleteI believe that Skip is reading my blog too. However this is my blog and I have no intention to write it in any other way. This blog is partly my therapy and that is more important to me. Full stop ;-)
Your splat smiley is so funny that I have integrated into my one. Hope that is ok with you. Big hug, Paula
So sorry to hear of your trouble (and see it....yikes!)
ReplyDeleteGet well soon!
C
Oh my gosh, you poor thing! As I was reading it before I even saw the picture I was cringing, I mean I could literally feel that happening!!!!! That's one ugly injury, my dear! I hope it's not as painful as it looks!! Take care!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful ankle.
ReplyDeleteOUCH on the pictures from Tahoe ... oh ... that should be reversed!
Just Kidding!
Take care of you!
Poor thing. Tahoe is stunning really.
and ankle looks horrible!