Ok.....Here's your Up Close and Personal (pun intended) report on the HOTTEST country/rock concert to hit these here parts in quite some time!
And......I saw it all for free! Since I am such a WINNER!
Yes, country fans....Kenny Chesney rocked the house! 15,000 people; a sell-out crowd..... were there on their feet, clapping and singing along to his greatest hits, and a few rock standards like......OMG, I have forgotten! It musta been that Margarita! (I am a really cheap date...one drink and I am toast!)
Trish and I headed down the mountain to the radio station where it was about 101 degrees in the shade. It's always about 15 to 20 degrees warmer and smoggy down in the "valley." Uggghh! After checking in and signing some important papers (something about liability) we waited in their air conditioned lobby until we could board the bus.
While we waited, we talked to a couple of the employees, and we recognized a female DJ by her very distinctive voice. She says she can't go anywhere in town without people knowing that voice, since this area is fairly big on country music.
It was about an hour and a half trip to where the concert was held aboard a comfy tour bus. This bus was all clean and fancy! It had TVs, a sound and public address system, highback/reclining upholstered seats with pull out foot rests, window shades, reading lamps, etc.
Am I easily impressed or what?
Well....the last time I was on a bus, it was probably an old school or church bus, many, many years ago!
Some of the station's staffers, including a couple of the popular DJs, came along, and they were our hosts for the trip. They treated us like royalty and served us box lunches with our choice of fresh sandwiches (turkey, ham and cheese or roast beef) and either macaroni or potato salad. There were ice chests filled with frosty sodas of all kinds, plus, bottled water.
The DJs brought along several CDs that they played on the sound system (not too loud either), and others that they gave away as Trivia prizes. I almost answered one of the trivia questions, but just couldn't get the brain and the mouth functioning together in time to spit it out!
We arrived with about an hour to spare, until the concert was to begin. We wandered around and looked at the overpriced merchandise that the artists sell...i.e. 35 dollar t-shirts, etc, then grabbed a $7.00 frozen strawberry margarita before heading to our seats.
The seats weren't too far away from the stage, but they were sideways, as opposed to facing the stage directly. That was weird because your seats are all connected and to turn just a tad meant you were almost in the other person's seat. So, you had to turn your head toward the stage. I just had a hard time getting comfortable. A second margarita may have helped, but I didn't want to risk heading up those stairs again after the first drink! (I am clumsy you know!) Fortunately, all of the acts had us on our feet for a good part of the show, and that allowed for us to actually turn toward the stage, with everyone else in our row.
Uncle Kracker opened and I'd have to say, he was pretty fun and I liked a lot of his music. I recognised and really like one of his songs that Ab's radio stations play with lyrics like..You Won't Find Anybody Else Like Me....(Chuck, I know you are rollin' your eyes at my total ignorance when it comes to pop music!)
Rascal Flatts was excellent and they had some great visual effects with their music, such as video backgrounds and special lighting. I love all of their music and especially the song, I'm Movin' On.
Then it was time for Kenny! The screamin' was deafening! Women holding up signs, "Kenny..Will You Marry Me?" and "Kenny, I Think Your Tractor's Sexy!" I really don't find him very attractive, but I love his voice, and he does have some very defined muscles in those tanned arms. Island livin' I guess. He's kinda like country music's Jimmy Buffet, right about now.
Well, I am getting pretty tired, so I am going to finish off this report and hit the hay. I really lost out on a bunch of much needed beauty sleep by going to this concert on a weekday night! We got home at 2:00 in the morning!
I am getting too old for that kind of stuff!
Fortunately, this kind of fun doesn't happen too often!
G'night y'all!


Sounds like a BLAST! Glad you had a good time. I don't listen to country music much..don't listen to much of anything anymore besides classical and New Age (I'm REALLY getting to be an old fart!), but that concert sounds like it was a really good one. Especially for free! Lisa :-]
ReplyDeleteTold ya it was a great show!!! I rode on my first 'fancy bus' this past December with 65 high schoolers... while I was in awe, all the kids did was complain about being cramped... they should have made the 7 hour trip to my grandparents home with 2 parents and 4 other siblings in a pinto station wagon.. then they can complain about close quarters! Those buses are really nice! Kristi
ReplyDeletethats great! im glad u had a great time! im dying to see kenny chesney this year! i think im going to have to pay an outrageous amount of money to get there seeing the shows sold out! but oh well! its well worth it for the greatest man ever! I LOVE HIM! i cant beleive u said you didnt think hes that attractive! LOL! thats crazy talk! well again, im glad you had a great time!
ReplyDelete~sarah from ohio!