We're home from Oklahoma; safe and sound for the most part! Modern travel is so wonderful. It's just incredible that you can be half-way across the country one minute, then home in a few hours.
This photo was taken at about 35,000 feet, from my window seat, as we were flying out of our Denver connection yesterday afternoon.
We had a great trip and spent lots of time eating and visiting with family. As many times as I've travelled to Oklahoma, I don't think I ever noticed how many mexican restaurants they have in OKC. I swear, they must have 15 on every major street, and within blocks of each other! We managed to sample a few of the mexican places, and have determined a favorite; Chilinos. Yum! One plus to Okie mexican food is that they always serve warm, gooey, sweet sopapillas for dessert! Not so here in my parts. I'd never seen a sopapilla until I visited New Mexico and Oklahoma. Best yet, in OKC they're complimentary with your meal!
I do believe most of the folks there go out to eat every night, because we did and every place we went was filled with hungry diners. The prices are still affordable, I guess. We fed 8 people the other night for about $63.00! They have every kind of food and restaurant imaginable. We enjoyed a particularly good chinese buffet, where they made Moo Shu Chicken tableside, in addition to all the tasty stuff on the buffet line.
Another thing that Oklahoma has is an impressive array of menacing bugs. What was God thinking when he made chiggers? When I was a kid, I had a penpal from Oklahoma and she always complained about chiggers. I never experienced them until this trip!
I managed to get a horrible case of chigger bites on my lower legs while Ab and I took photos at the Kirkpatrick Science and Air Space Museum- Omniplex Gardens on Tuesday.
Interestingly enough, those bites came right after we finished watching Bugs! (sponsored by Terminix) at the OmniDome Theater, which is a 70-ft diameter dome movie screen that surrounds the audience. By yesterday afternoon they itched so intensely, that I thought I wouldn't be able to stand it. This extreme itching was despite the fact that I had used Caladryl lotion and taken Benedryl capsules every few hours.
It seems that I am just hyper-sensitive to chigger bites because by the time that we got home last night, my ankles were so swollen and covered with angry red welts that I was sure I'd have to see a doctor today.
Instead, I did some internet research about the ugly little red fellas. I now know more than I could ever imagine and how they create the torture that they put us through. Also, I found out that there's no real treatment, other than what I am already doing! Guess I will just have to let nature run it's course in order for them to get better, which can be up to a couple of weeks, according to what I read. In case you haven't experienced chiggers, you can read all about them by going to the chigger bites link above.
So, right now I must go put some more medicine on my bites, and try to do a little unpacking. Will be back with more vacation "fun" and photos later!


Welcome home! We used to get chigger bites when I was a kid. They ARE miserable, aren't they? Lisa :-]
ReplyDeleteWow! What a shot of Denver!! I was born in Denver, Colorado...
ReplyDeleteYou have a really nice journal. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.
Please do come to the J-Land Cafe and get in our virtual parade!
Would love to have you!
TJ
DailyRoundTrips
J-LandCafe
Sounds like you had a great time! When I lived in Louisiana we always got Sopapillas with our meals, too. I don't think they even make them here in Phoenix, at least I've never seen them offered.
ReplyDeleteChiggers. Yuck. Got enough of those when I was a kid!!
Welcome home!
~~Kath~~
http://journals.aol.com/dklars/SecretGarden
God hides in silver
ReplyDeletelining~dancing gleefully
in Lisa's portals
Christina! I love that Haiku! Thank you for creating that for me! (((Christina))) Lisa
ReplyDeletewow I love the picture! Love the journal!
ReplyDelete~Laura
i live in okc and your words make this place so beautiful. for the chiggers cover them in clear nailpolish, it will kill them. take car-me
ReplyDelete