The past 24 hours have been the roughest since Papa came home from the hospital.
My Aunt Mary and I took turns watching him while the other one shed tears. It was heartwrenching to see him so restless. I think he has again become intolerant of his pain meds and he is suffering from psychosis.
By now he has to be experiencing sleep deprivation as well, because he hasn't slept in at least 24 hours. This morning while I lay dozing on the couch near his bed, I jumped up when I saw him trying to get out of his bed, stretching the IV line to it's limit. The hospice nurse had told me that I would probably have to move him into the hospital bed before long. Today was the day.
Mary, Yvette (my sis-in-law) and I, managed to take advantage of him wanting to get up, and we held him up as he walked on shaky, spindly legs over to the hospital bed. We got him settled with the rails up for good measure.
At 0740, I placed a call to the hospice on-call nurse, and it was obvious that I awakened her. We talked about his agitation and restlessness, and whether it was "disease progression" or the accumulation of the drugs due to poor liver function. After she arrived and examined him, we decided it was probably a little of both. She suggested that we give him Thorazine to calm him down, but after what I witnessed when he had Ativan and Haldol in the hospital, I was reluctant to agree to any "anti-psychotic." We settled on Valium. Of course, they started him off on 2 mg. baby doses. After 14 mgs. throughout the day, he is still twitching and restless and we are all exhausted. He expended so much energy while doing all that movement, that his blood sugar got to dangerous levels. It was so difficult to get it up again and we had to have the nurse contact the doctor, when 4 tubes of glucose gel and one glucose tablet failed to do the trick and get it up past 45. I think everything we put in his mouth, was just sucked out by the gastric tube. You'd think that the glucose gel would actually absorb in his mouth and start to work a little quicker, but I guess with as sick as he is, everything is screwed up.
I also talked with the nurse about the fact that Papa has not slept one wink since taking the Valium and Benedry, she asked if I'd be willing to consider the Thorazine at this point. I told her yes, since I couldn't bear to see him continue like this much longer. Unfortunately, this little town does not have a 24 hour pharmacy so the hospice nurse had to call it in to one that's 45 miles away. It's now 1:25 a.m. and we're awaiting my brother's return with the Thorazine and hoping that it will work the way it's intended. Papa needs some rest.
I thought this hospice supervised death would be peaceful. It's anything but at this point.


In my opinion, the "restlessness" and wanting to get up and move around are the person's final fight against death. Though he was too weak for it to go on for very long, my dad did a lot of that right before he died---for about five or six hours, I guess. He wasn't even really conscious, but he kept throwing off his covers, making movements like he was trying to get out of bed, and shaking his head...I really thinkg he was just saying"no" and trying to walk away from those who were encouraging to ""pass over." Finally, our hospice nurse sat down and told him he needed to go, that his body was trying to die, and he needed to go find some peace. That we (the girls) would take care of Mom (she was ill, too, and I think that was the biggest reason he didn't want to go...he knew she needed to be cared for, and he had been doing that for over fifty years...) Almost immediately, he gave into it and calmed down. Wtihin minutes after that he was gone.
ReplyDeleteIt IS hard. It's not like they show you in the movies. I hope that it is over for you soon, and your dad can find his peace. (((((Lisa))))) Lisa :-]
Wishing and praying Peace will fall upon your father and your family.
ReplyDeleteI know this is so hard on you, but have faith and patience in their system. Once they 'learn' Papa, they will be better able to help Papa and you. Prayers for you all and a Hug from me too. Kristi
ReplyDeleteI know some days are harder than others for everyone involved. Please know that I'm thinking about you and your family.
ReplyDeleteWe went through a similar time with my FIL when he was dying from lung cancer. He grew very restless for a day or two, and then settled down before dying. I am holding you close in my heart.
ReplyDelete