
About a week and a half ago, he narrowly missed being hit head on by an out-of- control car careening toward him on one of our local roads. The driver swerved both ways in front of him, crossing back and forth in both lanes until the vehicle jumped a barbed wire fence and she rolled....end over end and side to side before coming to rest in a nearby field. As Mr. GS saw all kinds of things flying out of her car as it rolled he assumed the worst and quickly went to the rescue, fearing people had been ejected and the strong possibility of a fire starting in the dry grass. He scaled the fence, with his casted broken leg and ran to her car as someone else who stopped called 9-1-1.
She was dazed and confused (and later determined to have only bruises and scratches) and wanted to get out of the car despite his pleas to remain there until medical help arrived. As he was concerned about a fire starting, he worked desperately to open the crushed car door using all the strength he could muster and he apparently smacked his elbow on the vehicle with the momentum of his back swing.
The next morning he was complaining of severe pain in is elbow and thought maybe he'd chipped it when he hit it on the car. By that afternoon, the elbow was very swollen, extremely painful and hot to the touch so we headed down the mountain to our HMO's Urgent Care. They took an xray and determined it wasn't broken, providing an initial diagnosis of "Traumatic Bursitis." But, they did warn us to watch for it turning into cellulitis...a serious infection of the skin/tissue.
We left Saturday morning to visit his family in the Northern California Gold Rush area and by Sunday night, we were in the ER where he was diagnosed with a life threatening case of cellulitis. The infection had spread up and down his arm! They didn't hospitalize him because we were traveling, instead giving him an injection of anti-biotics and instructions to report to the ER again once we returned home the next day.
To make a long story short.....we've (actually I've) been driving UP and DOWN the mountain, DAILY so he can have IV antibiotic treatments in our HMO's Urgent Care. It's their alternative to hospitalization. So, you see, we're now dealing with a broken right leg/ankle and a severely infected right arm!
(Update-Since I began this entry in between medical visits, he's now had his last..we hope....IV and is now continuing with 2 types of oral anti-biotics and a mouthwash to deal with the Thrush infection in his mouth-thanks to massive doses of anti-biotic meds!)

And for me? I developed an (<----operative word here...as in only ONE eye as WHO would drive?) eye infection that so far has required TWO darn trips to Urgent Care, which fortunately were at the very same place he was receiving his IV.
How convienient.
I swear, the two of us together don't make one healthy person!
Anyone need a ride to Bakersfield? I am sure we'll be heading there soon!


I think you two are going to need another vacation after all of this!!!! I am so sorry! I hope you both are feeling better shortly!
ReplyDeleteOh My Gosh!!!
ReplyDeleteI hate to say this but you two may be meant for one another!! hehe
Feel better soon and Welcome back!
Their alternate to hospitalization. Visceral emotion. HISS.~Mary
ReplyDeleteHe is a hero! I'm sorry to hear about all the subsequent health issues for you both, though! Hope you're on the mend soon!
ReplyDeleteGood lord. You two must be something to see right now. *shaking head* Hopefully you'll both be healthy soon and STAY that way for a while. Maybe you should make him some clothes with bubble wrap sewn in? lol
ReplyDeleteLove,
Jamie
Wow! Holy mother of...Thankfully one of you can still drive. I agree however it was courageous with his ankle in a cast. (Hugs)Indigo
ReplyDeleteP.S. I'm now here:
http://shatteredprose.blogspot.com/
My gosh....hope all recover quickly and thoroughly. No kissing until that thrush is gone too. You two behave yourselves. :o)
ReplyDeleteWell, it's fun to read of a new kind of "family" drama. I'm glad you're both getting better. Who's worrying about the kids, etc. since you are busy with your own challenges? ;-)
ReplyDeleteDon
Oh my gosh. I do hope you both get well soon! Glad you could be there for each other, but sheesz.
ReplyDelete