Weekend Assignment #10 from John Scalzi @ By The Way
Congratulations! You've been given one million dollars. What would you do with it?
But wait! There's more -- seems you've been given two million dollars. Would you do anything different with the second million than you would with the first?
For the purposes of this assignment, assume that you've got two million after taxes -- so you don't have to worry about Uncle Sam and your state and local governments dipping into your pot of cash. Also, you've got it all at once -- no installment plans.
(Extra Credit: If you had two million not to keep but to donate to a charity, which charity and why?)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whoa! I’ve been "given" one million dollars and I need to figure out what to do with it!
No problem.
According to my father, in the Native American culture, in the afterlife a man (or woman) is measured by what he has given in life. So, in that spirit, I would use much of my new found wealth to benefit others in some way.
The very first thing I would do, is retire from my job, since 23 years of that kind of work is more than enough. And…at 50 years old, I have enjoyed about as much of it as I can stand! I am eligible to retire right now, but if I wait until March of 2006, my retirement formula goes way up and that’s the only reason I am still there.
Since tomorrow is Monday, I’d just call Personnel and advise them of my decision to retire immediately and say "See ya at my retirement party!" Then, I’d ask some of my closest friends and my oldest daughter who is quite the party planner, to help me with the "Mother of all Retirement Parties!"
This party would be the semi-casual, social event of the year, held in a family-friendly setting, but also beautifully decorated. There would be food and drinks, music and dancing, a comedian and magician, games and prizes for all ages, and then speakers who’d tell funny stories about my years in the department.
Then, it would be my turn to speak and I’d tell each and every person there individually, how blessed I was to have them in my life, and why. I’d probably tell them what I learned from them through the years, or say something about a kindness they’ve shown me or my family. I’d then present them with a special gift that I’d picked out especially for them. Kinda like, giving them their flowers while they are alive.
With the rest of the money, I’d pretend I was Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, and I’d be off to help my loved ones get what they need….health wise. I’d spare no expense to get them the very best in medical care and treatment.
For Papa, a new liver and treatment for his Hepatitis C, and whatever else he needed to be strong again. For Tam, we’d get the best possible help for her pain, depression and lupus. Bubba, Cindi and Chuck would get what ever help they needed to get back on the right track in life. Krissy would get her arteries cleaned out to prevent further bloodclots, and then the ultimate in rehabilitation to help with the damage from previous strokes.
Grandma Jessie, and Grandpa and Tutie would get physicals from awesome doctors and whatever they needed to live out the rest of their days healthy and happy. Aunt Mary would have all the experts dealing with her diabetes and the resultant problems.
Trish, Aunt Sherry and I would go to a live-in physical fitness program to lose weight and exercise ourselves back in to our former thinner bodies! Oh, yeah! Then I’d hire us personal trainers and cooks to ensure that we stayed that way! I could go on and on….but I think you get the idea. I think by then, that mill is just about spent.
Ok, now I’ve got two million dollars! The first million would be spent as above, and then I’d start doing a few things for me, and some that would benefit my family as well. I’d go to school and take some classes for the sheer joy of learning. I’d like to become a better writer (better implies that I am a writer, geesh), or actually learn how to write short stories, etc. I’d also take a photography class, since I know absolutely nothing about the subject at this point and I am just learning as I go.
I’d put in a fantastic, park-like backyard, with a Koi pond and waterfall, and exotic flowers and plants. Of course, I’d have a gardener to take care of it, except for when I felt the need to putter around in the dirt.
Ab would be sent to the best possible private school and I'd arrange for her transportation to and from there each day.
I’d hire a housekeeper, so I could work on my writing, photography and scrapbooks and never have to lift a finger to clean a toilet or anything else, again.
I’d also hire a professional organizer to help me get rid of my clutter and organize my life. And, of course, Molly, my massage therapist would be at my beckon call.
Then, I’d make sure that my family and friends were comfortable in life and buy a house for those who didn’t own their own homes. Then if there was any money left, I’d take us all on a vacation cruise to Alaska.
Extra Credit………2 Million to Give to Charity! Which Charity and Why?
When my sister was dying of a rare form of breast cancer (IBC) a few years ago, I was extremely impressed with the excellent care, concern and medical supplies she received from Hospice. They cared for the entire family in ways that really touched my heart.
So, one million goes to Hospice!
The second million would go to a charity that is similar to Make a Wish for children, but it’s for terminally ill adults. I can’t remember the name of it, and they didn’t have it when Kim was so sick, but I'd find out quick and they'd get the money.
I was so pleased to see that someone started a charity like that for adults that are dying, because I would have loved to have given Kim some special wish before she left this world.


This all sounds like a great plan to me. Especially the part about throwing yourself a big party! Lisa :-]
ReplyDeleteYou sound like a good relative to have.
ReplyDeletetHIS ENTRY AND THE LOVE THAT FLOWS FROM IT REALLY TOUCHED MY HEART!!!
ReplyDelete