YUK! Gag! I just had to throw away my brother's nasty, half-full spit cup that he left on top of my dryer! At least it had a lid on it! How do they stand that chew? Blech!
The boys and their families came up the mountain today to help me sort through Papa's boxes of paperwork and his personal belongings. We made a lot of progress, shredding papers-some dating back into the 60s, throwing out a variety of outdated software and computer accessories, bagging up some clothing for charity, and tossing out some stuff in the trash.
Between Papa and my mother, I know where I got my pack-rat mentality. It was amazing what he kept and as I offered up that comment, I had to admit that he was probably looking down from above saying....Well, missy, if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black!
Of course we kept a huge box full of what I call everything sentimental...family photos, his college papers, certificates and membership cards, performance evaluations, genealogy research, wedding announcements and greeting cards from us kids, etc.
Justin came upon a piece of red scratch paper with Papa's very distinct handwriting, that brought me to tears. I don't know if he wrote it, but apparently he liked the quote well enough to save it and I will cherish it from now on.
If I had to describe Papa in one paragraph, this is what it would be..........
Let everything you do be your religion and everything you say be your prayer.
It was my father, through and through.


I love that quote. How absolutely beautiful.
ReplyDeleteOh, Lisa, I just LOVE that quote. And in view of the entry I just added to my journal, it's particularly apropos!
ReplyDeleteAnd RE the spit cup: The first time I found one of those lying around (cleaning up at a place I worked), I didn't know what it was. Someone enlightened me, and I almost puked. SOOOO disgusting!!!! Lisa :-]
I love your description of PaPa. I think I will adopt this too.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you had help with this task... what a true saying that is... Kristi
ReplyDelete