John Scalzi, our Blogfather, has given us this photo assignment:
Your Monday Photo Shoot: Take a picture of something that shows what Memorial Day means to you. This can mean something directly related to remembering soldiers and others who have served their country -- but if Memorial Day also means fun, sun, cookouts or other things, you can use that as well.
Here's mine! I decided to let you see something a little different involving someone who's serving her country.
Last week, while visiting Fly Boy in North Carolina during his mid-tour break from the war in Iraq, he took me to the Military Police compound to visit with some of his fellow soliders and buddies. Fly Boy spent 5 years as a Military Police Officer before switching over to fly helicopters. He trained and certified a police dog right before that change in assignments, so the working dogs are near and dear to his heart.
I had the opportunity to witness the love and dedication of these K-9 handlers and the deep devotion of the dogs to their masters. It was a fascinating experience.
This is Morgan, a military police officer and her dog who's trained to identify explosives. Morgan is saying goodbye to her faithful partner of two years as she's rotating to a different assignment and base. I am sure her grief is overwhelming. I plan to send her a copy of this photo so she can cherish the beautiful moment.


Great pic!! ~~Kath~~
ReplyDeleteI'm sure she will. A lot of love in that shot!
ReplyDeleteOMG that made me cry.
ReplyDeletehttp://journals.aol.com/dragonrose637/MyLife/entries/1398
What a great picture, Lisa! We sometimes forget that serving our country is not always about going abroad and shooting people and being shot at. This young soldier is also making a great sacrifice in service to her country. Lisa :-]
ReplyDeleteWonderful photo!
ReplyDeleteA little different....I say SPECIAL!!
ReplyDeleteI love it!
brought me to tears as well. what a moment you captured. ~Phinney
ReplyDeletewonderful, touching photo
ReplyDeleteNOTHING compares to the unconditional love of a dog; pet or professional.
ReplyDeleteGreat Picture! Beautiful Dog!
ReplyDeleteCarolyn
http://journals.aol.com/shelt28/MyLife
they both will always have a home in my heart. as will all our troops. I just dont understand how they expect someone else to just come in and handle this great animal. they should always be together !!
ReplyDeleteafter all, that's her baby..... I know I have mine.....
ReplyDeleteI served as a military policeman for 6 years and was always amazed at the devotion between dog and handler. You have caught it in one photo. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteMY NAME IS JOHN, I WORK IN NYC FOR A PVT. SECURITY FIRM AS A K-9 HANDLER THAT DETECTS EXPLOSIVES AS WELL, I CAN'T EVEN TO BEGIN TO IMAGINE WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE TO BE SEPARATED FROM MY K-9 PARTNER.
ReplyDeleteAS WE SPEAK HE IS AT MY FEET, MY PARTNER (RALSTON) IS WITH ME 24/7, HE IS MY PRIDE AND JOY, I FEEL FOR MORGAN'S PARTNER AS WELL AS MORGAN, HOWEVER THE TIME SPENT TOGETHER WILL BE CHERISHED FOREVER, MORGAN WILL NEVER FORGET THE LOVE THAT WAS GIVING TO HER, AS WELL AS HER PARTNER.
MY UTMOST RESPECT GOES OUT TO OUR ENTIRE SERVICEMAN FIGHTING FOR OUR FREEDOM, MAY THE ALL COME HOME SAFE!!!
YOURS IN SERVICE
JOHN C.VIGORITO
RET. FDNY
First off, thank you Morgan and your K-9 for serving this Great Country of ours. That picture has a thousand words; brought tears to my eyes for I just had to euthanize my GSD I had adopted from a local shelter. It is too bad that your K-9 could not be rotated to the base you are going to. Back in '83 I donated a silver-tipped GSD to the Air Force during interviews at Long Beach Naval Shipyards, CA. I was told I could not write to her handler as she was government property and was most likely being sent to Germany. While I don't know how true that statement was, I still miss "Krista". Take care, be safe, and God Bless.
ReplyDeleteDenise
Great Photo!!!!!
ReplyDeleteLeslie