Wednesday, June 1, 2005

Grandma and Fly Boy's St. Christopher Medals

It was so hard to leave Fly Boy in North Carolina last Thursday, knowing he'd be heading back to Iraq on Saturday, May 28th.  But, making a connection in Oklahoma City to visit with my sweet Grandma made it somewhat easier. 

While in OKC, we were devastated to learn that two of Fly Boy's fellow Kiowa pilots were killed when shot down by insurgents who fired on the two copters travelling together. One young man was from Fly Boy's C Troop and the other was a Senior Instructor Pilot, who worked closely with all of them.  Fortunately, the other Kiowa pilots safely returned to base. One of the young men in that chopper was my son's room mate. 

I cannot imagine how my son felt when hearing that horrific news. 

With a sense of guilt, I immediately gave thanks to God that my son was not involved in that incident and cried for the family, friends and co-workers of those who lost their lives in a war that I find harder and harder to believe was ever right or necessary.  My son, however, feels differently and I support him fully. 

The awful circumstances surely put a damper on Fly Boy's remaining time with Fall Girl, and he left with heartfelt sadness, returning to his unit to his buddies who dealt with the loss of their brothers first hand while he was home on leave. 

His pending return to Iraq made me ask tearfully..."Can't you just resign?" (He once told me that as an officer he has to resign to end his military assignment)  "I can't stand the thought of you going back again for 6 months?"  He replied...."Mom, they'd put me in jail!"

It was then I wanted to step into what I call my "Mama Monster" role.  It's a no-holds barred, taking care of business and fully in charge and YOU will listen to me Mister persona, and call the Governor, my Senator and Congressman, the President and his Chief of Staff, Fly Boy's Commander and anyone else who'd listen to a deranged mother and say.........."This is CW2 Fly Boy's Mother and I am calling to tell you he won't be back!  That's right.  I will not let him step one foot back there.  He's done.  He's not playing any more....he's taking his flight goggles and staying home!" 

Instead, I just cried and did what my Grandma told me.  She said in her sweet Okie voice...."Now Lisa, you just take this money and go buy him a St. Christopher's medal.  I want you to get one he can put in his pocket and one he can wear!"

That's exactly what I did. 

Here's Grandma holding them in her precious hands. 

Please pray that God and St. Christopher keep their hands cupped safely around Fly Boy.

Thanks.

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. {{{{{Lisa}}}}}  If I had heard that news just before my son was set to go back to the battlefield, I would probably sit on him and not let him go ANYwhere for at least a month.  You are SO brave to let him go.  You bet I'm envisioning that platoon of angels wrapping their wings about him for the second half of his deployment.  And we'll throw in St. Christopher, too.  Lisa  :-]  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your son is in my prayers.  Thanks for showing us the PIC of Grandma!  The news of the downed pilots was so sad.  I cannot begin to know how you feel but the stress of having a Son in Harm's Way surely must take it's toll on you.  I will pray for you, too, Lisa.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you. We just had a son come home safely from Iraq in September from his second time there. I know what you are going through and my prayers are with you. He was in First Force Recon. Marines stationed in Camp Pendleton. You thank God every day for thier return and you pray for all the others as well. My 90 year old Mother lives with our family,so my son had a Gran" praying for his safety as well. God bless those Grandmothers for all their concern.   Please keep us up to date. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!