
Seriously.
A really drunk someone, okay..it was the hostess... got slapped upside the face with a piece of bloody tri-tip by an equally drunk someone at Birthday Boy's 5th birthday party yesterday.
It went downhill from there and fortunately, I summoned up some good sense and left before Mr. Meatslapper got his nose broken by the hostess in retaliation. As I gathered up my coat and purse, preparing to leave the festivities last night, I began to have a few "post-traumatic" type flashbacks of last Summer when Abbie nearly died of an alcohol overdose. I just don't do drunken bashes very well and I was panicking and teary-eyed on the drive home. It was even more difficult as my co-dependency issues kicked in to ultra-high gear, knowing I left Tam and her boyfriend there and they were as drunk as the best of them!
Upon my arrival yesterday afternoon, I got an inkling of how this child's party was destined to be when one of the guests...a mother nursing a newborn, told me she always asks our hostess her plan of action in order to carry out what needs to be done once the hostess is too wasted to do so.
Ummmmm.
"SWELL!" I thought to myself!
I should have stayed for an hour or so and then bowed out gracefully...but, I didn't. I stayed around long enough to take in some of the violence and crude language in front of the children.
Mix Sangria, ice cold beer, some Southern Comfort, lots of testosterone bubbling up from a group of drunk men in their 30s, some pissed off and/or tipsy wives, tons of impatient and sugared-up kids under the age of 5 and you've got a PARRRRRTTAAAAY!
Today and always, I am really grateful that I don't drink to excess.
I am a serious light weight when it comes to alcohol as I have like... ZERO tolerance for the substance and pretty much ZERO tolerance for DRUNK people.....for that matter! Give me ONE sissy drink, preferably something with a frilly umbrella at a social event, or a glass; maybe two.... of Reisling wine with dinner on occasion and I am just fine, thankyouverymuch. My late father; a certifiable Native American drunk, (in recovery) used to shake his head pitifully at my intolerance and say...."Lisa, sometimes I wonder if you are actually my child!" Again...."For the Grace of God, there go I!" and I am soooo very grateful that I don't have the disease of alcoholism.
Anyway...I don't think I will be able to make it to next year's celebration.
Unfortunately, I've already made plans for that day!
Gee. Darn.


Oh my! I'm all in favour of a good time, but NOT around kids, and NOT when people get violent! Better steer clear of that herd!
ReplyDeleteOMG, those things were happening at a CHILD's party? Hate to imagine what takes place at an adult party and I'm not a prude!
ReplyDeleteI am shocked to read/hear of such goings-on, Lisa. To think that an afternoon-evening like you describe happens with children present, and all the ramifications therein.
ReplyDeleteI am SO SHOCKED--because it used to be ME...right there in the thick of it all, proving that I could be louder, drink more, cuss with more 'finesse' hit people or turn the hose on them, pass out, whatever--never even REALIZING there were children in attendance, taking it all in. The children then begin to wonder, "Maybe THIS is "living"!
O God saved me from myself. Miracles DO happen!
I am always the one slinking out the back door to avoid all the drunken requests to stay and "just have one".
ReplyDeleteMe=0% tolerance for obnoxious drunks.
I really don't understand how people can act like that around children. You want to get stupid drunk? That's your business, but you're a role model for your children, so do it at an adult party, not a bday party for a 5 year old!
ReplyDeleteSorry, that just doesn't make sense to me!
That is so sad. Rather than thinking of those children first and putting the alcohol away for the day they prove to be the selfish thinkers that alcoholics and drunks are. I am sorry you had to endure that, but glad that you got out in time.
ReplyDeleteFolks can do what they want. . . but the minute you add kids to the mix? It's a crime!
ReplyDeleteyes, I am one of those that USED to have many parties like that. Fights, foul language, children-all of it. I thank my Higher Power that my parties are no longer tainted by alcohol and the adverse effects that it causes. I'm sorry you had to endure that, you were sooo happy preparing for it yeaterday.
ReplyDeleteI'm grateful for my friends who can party like mad and do it (more or less) responsibly and even for those who chose to refrain completely. It all works.
ReplyDeleteStill - I'd like to hear more about the fracas. Anytime you get a drunk woman getting beotch-slapped with a piece of meat, it has to be a classic.
Or a porno.
what a horrible thing for anyone to witness, let alone KIDS! how very sad!
ReplyDeleteYes, I, have had it up to ^here^ with drunk people.
ReplyDeleteOh, man. :(
ReplyDeleteAnd you seemed so happy and excited about it too yesterday.
I'm sorry it ended so poorly.
And shame on those parents for behaving that way in front of their children.
Not cool in my book.
But hey, at least you know better now....
XOXO
I can't drink either. One drink,I'm light headed; two drinks I'm dancing on the table with a lamp shade on my head. I don't know how these people STAND UP after all that drinking.
ReplyDeleteI agree, after seeing that all the time, kids would start to think it was normal.
UUgh, i hate drinking parties, i just don't attend, too many flashbacks of my own usage. glad you left when you did.
ReplyDeleteOh God, those kids. It would have taken some big heavy work on my part to not jump into codie mode and rescue those kids.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you left Lisa. I would never go back either.
I just read the post before this one and...wow things changed up quickly. I may of drank but never in excess or let my daughter see me drunk. It appals me that this was suppose to be a childs birthday party and the adults acted the way they did. Never should there be alcohol celebrating a childs day.
ReplyDeleteI don't know hon, some things in life truly sicken me. Maybe because I don't understand even knowing it's a disease how some parents can not take their kids in consideration. Was I the exception drinking out of sight...
I'm glad you left. You didn't need to see or be around people like that who had no more respect for their children than they did for themselves. (Hugs)Indigo
Ex-Riverside deputy Tammie K-H, age 48, drank herself to death with a bottle of vodka last Feb 15th on her boyfriend's bathroom floor - while he was out at an A.A. meeting.
ReplyDeleteShe left behind two teenage daughters, and grieving and totally co-dependent family and friends.
It ripped everyone who loved her - and drank with her and totally failed to acknowledge their partying was part of the problem - apart.
I hate what alcohol does and won't hang out with people who do it steadily/find it necessary to have fun that way.
Alcoholics respect nothing. Not themselves. Not thier kids. Not their family, not their co-workers or friends. It is so abusive.
You can feel compassion for someone's pain without interacting with them and being dragged into the drama of their own ongoing making.