Tuesday, January 25, 2005

A Change...in plans and in decor.

I postponed our trip to Disneyland last weekend, for several reasons. Mostly because I had a bad case of the redecorating bug after watching Home and Garden Television on a regular basis lately. I decided my little family room could be totally transformed if only I’d rearrange the furniture around the room’s "focal point" just like I learned on HGTV. It really wasn’t that simple.

The fairly new sofa sleeper I had in the room, was just way too big to turn toward the fireplace, which I decided should be the focal point. It’s a beautiful brick fireplace and I always enjoy changing the decorations on the mantle for the seasons, or whenever I get a few new knickknacks that I need to show off. If the fireplace became the focal point, and the sofa was turned facing it, one would have to sit in an awkward position to watch the television in the entertainment center on the wall that was opposite the sofa. Not good for the neck and certainly not an appealing look for the room. The massive oak entertainment center could not be moved easily due to the television cable and stereo connections that moi, a girly girl, who’s electronically challenged….couldn’t reconnect by myself. And besides, it was just too damn heavy for me to move. Where’s a man when you need one?

So, my solution? I just went to the local (well, they want us to shop locally) furniture store and bought a new love seat and a comfy rocker recliner, and created a new, cozy seating arrangement in front of the entertainment center, which remained the focal point after all. I then headed to the local KMart and bought a nice striped floor rug with all the perfect colors to pull it all together. The only thing missing was a suitable coffee table that would fit nicely in front of the love seat so I went on a marathon shopping trip to find that perfect table. It was no where to be found down the West side of the mountain. I hit every store imaginable, including Pier One Imports.

At Target, in their World Bazaar section, I found a white wooden bench, in the perfect size that I decided would "work" as a coffee table if I painted it a color to go with the new furniture. Little did I know I’d find an absolutely perfect table, in the form of a trunk at TJ Maxx the next evening. The color, size and height was just right and in decorating speak…"it completed the look for a stylish, colorful and inviting room" in my home. I am so thrilled with the look and here’s some pictures for you to see for yourself. I am only sorry I didn’t do "before" shots for you to really see the transformation.

Oh, and you're all invited to come for a visit to try out the cozy loveseat.  But please, make  reservations because the room is so small, we can only handle two guests at a time, since I'll be in the recliner! 

4 comments:

  1. Pictures?  Pictures?  I don't see no stinking pictures.  Make with the pictures already!!  (Can't wait to see 'em...)  Lisa  :-]  

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...ahhh!  There they are.  Veddy, veddy nice!  Lisa  :-]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow!!! the only thing I am brave enough to do is watch the shows!! Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am laughing hysterically!  This is my mother's solution to design challenges - buy new furniture!  Glad I'm not the only one from a twisted family :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!