"You want what?" I asked incredulously, speaking to the young woman from Cars 4 Causes on the telephone.
She repeated. "A copy of the death certificate and a copy of the will saying you are the executrix of the estate. We believe you, but we need that paperwork to transfer the title of the car." she replied. "You have those, don’t you?"
One thing I’ve always been proud of is the amount of common sense I possess. So, I explained…..
Yes, of course I have that paperwork. But, if you will look through those papers I sent with the tow truck driver yesterday, you will see an official document from the State’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)….a form entitled, AFFADAVIT FOR TRANSFER WITHOUT PROBATE in which I swear and certify under the penalty of perjury under the laws of this great state, that my father died on August 25, 2004 and I am a guardian of the property of the decedent and an heir and that I have the right to have the title to the vehicle transferred without probate proceedings. That little paper contains my full name, signature, date and telephone number. In addition, I provided my Driver’s License number and signature on a form for you as requested by your tow-truck driver, signed the original title, and YOU KNOW where I live! Also, I am notifying the DMV that I am transferring the vehicle to your organization, by sending the official NOTICE OF RELEASE OF LIABILITY, and have signed the form, indicating my father is deceased. And, the DMV certainly knows how to find me!
No, I don’t think I want to give you a copy my father’s death certificate, which contains way more information than you need. Nor do I think you need a copy of his will-which contains some very personaland pretty sensitive information about his entire family-to do this title transfer.
Trust me, this is the third vehicle transfer that I handled in this exact manner, dealing directly with the DMV. Everything was just fine. No death certificate in hand, no problem.
Ok….talk to your manager on Monday. I will await your call and if it’s a problem, you wouldn’t mind bringing the car back, would you?
Arrrrggggh!


It amazed how many people wanted a copy of death certificates after my parents died. It was absolutely ridiculous. One organization was a type that collected used clothing and household goods if you can believe that.
ReplyDeleteI'll bet they end up keeping the car. Let's hope the manager knows what he or she is doing.
ReplyDeleteSam
Thank God I haven't lost a parent yet, but I can imagine the paperwork problems. In the last week my wife and I have had to come up with copies of ss cards, birth certificates, car titles, etc etc for some applications. Not fun. Not fun at all.
ReplyDeleteVery colorful journal. I like the graphics a lot :)
http://journals.aol.com/slapinions/Slap-Inionscom
I don't blame you for being incredulous. That is ridiculous!!
ReplyDelete