Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Truth, Justice and the American Teenager

Considering my profession, I have been conned a time or two by the absolute best. There’s a reason they call them convicts. But, when it comes to your kid messing with you like that, you’ve got to draw the line.

I know as the mother and considering the fact that she’s my fourth child, I should be able to effectively deal with some of these issues, but I’ll tell you, it’s so damn hard. Sometimes I just want to throw my hands up in despair and run. To quote a line from one of my favorite songs by Wynonna Judd, "Is it over yet?"

My youngest is becoming masterful at deceit and quite the manipulator. When it used to be nearly impossible for her to tell me a lie without laughing or displaying some other form of easily recognized body language which gives it away, she is learning to stand flat-footed, raise her right hand and swear that she’s telling me the truth. And…she won’t back down, even in the face of pure, irrefutable proof. That’s her story and she’s stickin’ to it!

Coming from a mother who is often honest to a fault and the fact that she’s been raised in an environment where truth is practiced and valued, this behavior is terribly distressing. Even Bubba, with all his issues, had the self-respect to own up to his misdeeds when they came to light. Am I going to be able to get this child to be a responsible adult and citizen? I know I felt the same thing at times with the two oldest, but Lord Have Mercy!

What really gets me is the fact that so many of her lies are just downright stupid and unnecessary. Take this example:

Me: What happened to the battery in the kitchen clock?

Her: I dunno. Why?

Me: Well, the kitchen clock is not running and there is no battery in it, so someone took the battery.

Her: Not meeeeeee! If I wanted a battery I could take one out of the drawer right here. <showing a fist full of batteries>

Me: Well, the clock was operating when I went to bed last night, and this morning it wasn’t. Upon inspection of the clock, the battery is missing. I didn’t take out the battery, and you say YOU didn’t take thebattery, so I guess we had a burglar last night? Ok, I know….Greyson (the kitten) took it out; he probably needed it for his CD player.

Her: <Gulp> Mom, I didn’t take the battery out!

Argggghh! So, now what do I do? It’s not like I can find and identify the missing battery and stick it in her face and say "SEE! Caught ya!" I can’t beat her into truthful submission! Do I treat this as I would in an inmate’s disciplinary hearing using "preponderance of evidence?"  We certainly have enough circumstantial evidence as well. Is this even a battle I want to fight? How about we let this one go? Nah…there’s been too many situations lately where she refuses to be truthful or take responsibility for her actions.

It’s not the battery. If she’d told the truth, I would have just scolded her, asked her to put the battery back and not take batteries out of something like that in the future. No big deal! So just why is this child being so deceitful and how do I handle it?

We ended up talking with a professional, her therapist. And, right in front of the kid, she gives me the new rule. If Mom suspects you are not telling the truth, she’s going to flip a coin. Heads, you skate, tails…you’re assumed to be lying and you’ll be receiving a punishment. The therapist feels that this 50/50 rule encourages kids to be truthful. So, that’s what we’re doing here.  I'm thinkin' it's worth a try. 

Comments and other suggestions are welcome!

5 comments:

  1. I think that's a very creative solution. And worth a try!  Especially since it was proposed by some authority figure who is NOT you.  You can say, "Hey, I'm only playing by the rules...!"  I like it.  Lisa  :-]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this tactic.  Please let us know whether it works, or not.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I like the method of flipping a coin.  Takes you out of the equation and puts the onus on her.  Truth or not.  She gets a chance to redeem herself and you get a chance to get at more of the truth.  I suspect that there will be telltale signs of truth versus lies based on just which side of the coin lands in a truthful situation. The only downfall is when it's a battle you really want to or need to bring to completion..she may get the benefit of the doubt.  Hang in there Mom...all the other Mom's in J-land are right there in your corner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea.  My Tabitha will lie like that sometimes and it drives me insane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was reading this entry thinking how badly I'd be hurt by my child lying to me.  I only have one son.  We went through a bout with lying while he was seven.  He had a good friend that lied easier than told the truth.  When he moved away, the lying ended and never started again.

    I guess what shocked me most was that my son had never been a pushover and I couldn't understand why this boy had such an influence.

    I know that what made the most sense to me was to say that when I felt sure that he wasn't telling me the truth it really hurt me and there was a good chance I wouldn't believe him when he was REALLY telling the truth.  The two of us were so close and I was so sure I'd taken care of the problem, but soon there was another lie and another . . .  until that little boy moved away.  That was a difficult period.

    I hope that your daughter's lying stops all of a sudden and doesn't rear its ugly head again!  I'll also be very interested in how the therapist's 50/50 thing works.  That's new to me!

    Please stop by sometime!

    http://journals.aol.com/cyndygee/TheRealWorldofcyndygee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!