Friday, April 8, 2005

Where My Son Lives

My Fly Boy is really developing an eye with his camera. 

This photo is the barracks at his camp, which are little box like containers with bunkbeds.   He changed bases a few weeks ago, and he says the accomodations at this one pale in comparison to what he was used to at Mortaritaville.  He says the food is not very good, as it's not freshly prepared.  Apparently it's pre-cooked and sealed elsewhere, then heated up right before it's served.  The menu is the same from week to week.  So, he's asked me to send him things he can heat up in a microwave.  A package will be put together this weekend, and sent off next week.  I hope that'll cheer him up a bit! 

With today's technology and my recuperation period here at home, we're having many more opportunities to chat on Instant Messenger or talk on the telephone.  He's so homesick right now, and really missing his beautiful new bride.  It concerns me, because he's sounding depressed, although he says he is not. 

Despite the fact that he loves his flying "job" he's sick of the warfront, Iraq and being so far away from his loved ones.  Sad part of it is, he hasn't been there very long.  But, he hopes his "mid-tour" opportunity to visit the states, comes soon.

He now has 10 years in the Army, but says he may not re-enlist if he ever has to go back to Iraq.  I don't blame him and I certainly understand.  He is maturing, and his family is becoming more precious to him all the time.  Fall Girl loves children and they'd like to start their family.  But they want to wait until he comes home for good, so they can share the excitement of a pregnancy together. I am hoping that it all coincides with about the time I retire next year and I can join in the excitement of my first grandchild making it's way into our world.

Be safe son....I love you! 

3 comments:

  1. I second that wish for your son.  Iraq must be a real change from anything here in the states.  Must be really easy to start just missing the geography of home, not to mention your loved ones...  Lisa  :-]

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is also in Iraq. I will keep your son in my prayers and please tell him thank you for serving our country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathtaking photo! I hope your son gets to come home soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!