Saturday, July 9, 2005

Off to San Diego

"We rest here while we can, but we hear the ocean calling in our dreams,
And we know by the morning, the wind will fill our sails to test the seams.
The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore.
For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

~ Song "Ships" by Tom Kimmel & Michael Lille

 

Today we will hit the open road for beautiful San Diego. I rented a car for the trip….a spiffy, bright…hurt your eyes kind of RED….’05 Chevy Cobalt for a grand total of 80 bucks, thanks to Enterprise’s weekend special. It gets way better gas mileage than my car and I’ll put the miles on theirs.

Ab needs to check in to her music camp on Sunday between noon and two, so tonight we‘ll spend the night in a hotel and take in some of the sights. I’m thinking of it as a 24 hour vacation, with lots of photo opportunities. It’s been a rough week for Ab and the time alone for the two of us will be enjoyable. Our communication lately has been outstanding and I am hoping that it will continue on this trip. It’s nice to see her finally expressing her feelings and concerns in an appropriate manner.

Right now she’s expressing a great deal of fear. Especially at night. She’s leaving every light on in the house when she goes to bed. This normally near-agnostic child is now horribly concerned about the “left behind” aspects of the “Rapture” which she now thinks will occur next year, and “Bible codes.” She said, “Mom, you are going to go POOF and I will be left behind!” :: SIGH::

I don’t know where all of this is coming from because we’ve never gone along with any “fear based” aspects of religion in this family. She certainly doesn’t need those concerns after the loss that she’s had in the past year, so I assured her that OUR loving GOD is not going to handle things that way. I told her that she needs to believe that she is a beautiful, loving and gifted child that GOD loves and that GOD wants her to enjoy her life in a healthy, loving and positive manner.   Also, I again expressed my belief of the effect of saturating oneself with negative energy….such as the terribly dark lyrics and inappropriate sexual aspects in some music, horror movies, etc.  Garbage in…. garbage out.

I’ve always said that life is difficult enough as it is, without adding all that negative energy into your spirit. I believe we need to focus on the good in life…helping others, laughter, kindness, fun, nature and growing into the loving beings that God intended. I am hoping that I reassured her.  But, to be on the safe side, I still called her psych and expressed my concern.

She’s also terribly distraught about leaving her boyfriend for this week. Understandable, but she’s got a cell phone and can contact him whenever she feels the need. I am hoping that once she gets there she’ll be so very busy and involved that her mind is freed from anything that troubles her.

Well, I better go get us ready for our adventure.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your "garbage in, garbage out" philosophy.  Fill yourself with negative energy and you're bound to become some kind of conduit for it.  It will go in...it will come out.  I find my escape from that in the enjoyment of nature and growing things.  

    Hope that Ab has a good time at camp...  Lisa  :-]  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, my arm is fine!  It happened twenty-five years ago, but I've been thinking about it a lot and I'm amazed how much I remembered.  I've been reading your journal regularly, and I can really identify with the Ab-centered ones.  Loved the lambs!  :)  Hope your trip is safe and please try to enjoy the peace you'll have in the next week.  Em just returned from camp.  And I'm ready to ship her back!!!  Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sad. I have a friend whose religion was like that. The Friends (Quakers) are so gentle and peaceful. I like to think God would be like my great grandma, patient and loving and smells good. :-)

    She is brave to leave. Tabby won't stay over night anywhere yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!