Monday, July 11, 2005

San Diego and More!

My young rock star has been safely delivered to music camp and I am enjoying the quiet house. I took an extra day off from work to recuperate from my 24 hour vacation and to take care of some errands that must be done during normal business hours.  Although, I am getting a lazy start this morning. 

Ab and I managed to sneak some time in to snap photographs at Seaport Village, San Diego where the weather was "picture perfect!"  I shot this view of the harbor that I thought was so peaceful.  I could sit there for hours.  

Using her graduation gift; a new Vivitar, 5 mega-pixel digital camera, Ab happily snapped away at everything from a jellyfish and crabs that she spotted on hanging out on the rocks of the jetty, to angled skyscrapers.  It was so fun to watch her enthusiasm and see the fruits of her labor!   

Her young artistic eye is so impressive and I can't wait to see what shots she gets from camp!  There's certain to be some very colorful subject matter, including a variety of shocking hair colors on the staff and the teen campers.  Before she left, Ab managed to get a vibrant stripe of red along side of the hair that hangs down in her face.  She's going to fit right in! 

On Saturday night we met up with Cassy and her family, for an Italian dinner in Downtown San Diego, taking in the sights and people watching.  The area is filled with very busy restaurants of every kind, with sidewalk seating. 

The crowded streets are alive with all kinds of people who are shopping, entertaining or being entertained by the eclectic mix of street artists/musicians.  The skyscrapers and old architecture intermingle to house a variety of condos, businesses and offices, and of course the eating establishments. 

We finished dinner at nearly 11:00 pm, and decided to walk around.  I was surprised to see how many of the hip clothing stores and other little shops were still bustling with business.  At Urban Outfitters I managed to score a great little brushed leather purse in mauve, on clearance for $7.00 and a bright green leather wallet for $6.00, which was also a steal!

Yesterday, while driving home I made a couple of touristy stops on my own.  The first was to Tom's Farms, a huge and very busy place that's great for a day-trip.  In fact the place was filled with Harley riders who apparently had that idea in mind.

It has all kinds of restaurants, a farmer's market with fresh veggies and fruit, homemade candies and fresh baked goods.  There's also a store that has a big selection of beer, wine and cheese, pate', sliced meats and import foods, and everything imaginable that one might need for an impromptu picnic, including little plastic wine glasses!  There's also a huge furniture store with antique reproductions and gift shop, a garden shop with fountains and other yard art, and a section filled with kiddie rides. 

I bought some fresh cheddar cheese, some plump red strawberries, and a fruity bottle of wine to enjoy when I got home, then headed back on the road.

About 70 miles or so down the road I decided to stop again at Charlie Brown Farms in Littlerock.  It's mostly fresh fruits, veggies and gifts, but they also feature Cameo wines, from our own Antelope Valley.  I am learning to enjoy a glass of wine every once in awhile.  So as a novice wine drinker, I am anxious to know more about the different types, so I checked out the wine tasting room for a few little samples from a very knowlegeable woman.  I settled on two semi-sweet wines to add to my new wine rack, ready to enjoy for some special occasion in the future.

Then I stopped at In and Out Burger to fill up on some protein and enjoyed a tasty, fresh cheeseburger, wrapped "protein style" in lettuce!  Mmmmm!  You don't even miss the bun!  Full and again ready to hit the road, I headed home after a very enjoyable 24 hour mini-vacation. 

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...that little vacation seemed to be all about food...  Lisa  :-]  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tabby's purple hair has gradually faded...a red streak would delight her!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!