Saturday, August 13, 2005

Oh...Where's the Innocence?

In my previous entry I mentioned some issues with the girl child. 

Suffice it to say that there were some serious problems that resulted in the arrest of a 20 year old man for several felony counts. Oh the tangled web we weave with deceit.  She looks older than 13 and she chose to lie, so there have been many lives affected.  There are also arrests pending for other young adults (men) who were involved with some of Ab's 12 year old friends, who also look older than their tender age.  Still, none of them look like anything other than jail bait and that's what it got them.  Idiots, plain and simple.

It's been a horrifying week and I am not sure where to go from here.  I have to protect her from herself and her risky behavior.  The research I have done leads me to believe that she is at a very high risk for continuous and future behavioral issues and I have to change the collision course.  It's causing me to do some serious thinking about what's next in the form of schooling, friends and homelife. 

Sending her to public school here in this town is likely to cause her to seek the same path as Bubba.  Since her behavior is just becoming an issue, perhaps a challenging school with incredible programs and activities will help her to turn her life around.  My work schedule leaves her without the appropriate supervision needed at this stage of her life.  There are no full time private schools in this area for high school age students.    

I attended a retirement seminar last Thursday and I am looking at May 1st to begin my official retirement.  And, it can't get here fast enough. It's a possibility that I will be able to burn some vacation time for a few weeks prior to calling it quits.  If I were retired, it is a possibility that I could home school or drive her to a school down the mountain.  Right now that is impossible, so I am considering a boarding school for her freshman year.  Not the kind of boarding school exclusively for troubled teens, but those that are college prep who take underachieving kids.  Boarding school is terribly expensive, but I think I could manage it by really changing my spending habits, if they have monthly payment options.

Ab sat down with me and we looked at several schools that have outstanding arts and computer programs, one in Northern California and one in the southern part of the state.  I will be off work next week on "vacation" to get all this figured out.  Please, keep us in your prayers. 

 

6 comments:

  1. Y'all are definitely in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Ab.  God Bless you both.
    ~~Kath~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart goes out to you ~ all my best to you and Ab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.  I hope it helps you both to know that you are not alone -- and that we all wish for the best for you.  Teens, the toughest job you'll ever have.  There ought to be a warning label on babies bottoms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful colors on her quilt.  Shows what she can do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a mother is the hardest thing anyone can do....I am so angry at the men who apparently took advantage of some young girls.  They deserve jail.  I think you are correct in thinking she needs to be away from those influences. A fresh start in a good school like that could be all she needs to start a new identity.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!