Monday, September 6, 2004

Frog Giggin' and My Newest Fans!

If I told the whole story, it’d be worthy of several journal entries, so we’ll get to that later. But, for now, I will just tell you that my father was quite a looker in his younger days and he used it to his advantage with my teenage mama.

That Okie teenager made his way to sunny California and worked in the Los Angeles area, at "The Clock" drive-in; kinda like the one that Richie and the "Fonz" hung out at in "Happy Days!"

According to my father, I was conceived in the back seat of his souped-up 1947 Ford.

Ahhhh romance.

My Uncle Lee just filled me in on a little bit more of the story…..Papa told Mama that he was a struggling Hollywood actor and it must’a worked!

The rest is history. Me…..an only child, with a whole lot of brothers and sisters, all that have different mothers or fathers, as the case may be. Remember, Papa was a lover, not an accountant. Mom, well…she did her share of lovin’ too.

Anyway…for reasons beyond my control and again, a whole ‘nother entry, I didn’t become part of my Okie family until I was about 24 years old, I think. I am now 50. You can do the math.

That was probably a really good thing.

Why, you ask?

My Okie cousins! Oh, my GAWD! Yep, Monty, Larry and Mackey.

Drop-dead gorgeous fellas as adults and they couldn’t have been someone that you’d wanna run off with a stick as a kid. Oh, and those Okie accents!  Mmmmm!

I’d have been in some serious trouble. Or, maybe they would have been, because I was certainly the picture of California sweetness and innocence.

I can just see it now. I’d come to Oklahoma for a summer-time visit, totally unsophisticated to those rural ways….and they’d wanna take me giggin’ frogs (eeeewwww) or "Snipe Hunting."

I've heard all about y’all’s snipe hunting and stuff!  And, they're "good Catholic boys", to boot!

Those Okie boys can be down right dangerous!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!