Friday, September 10, 2004

I am mostly a mountain person.  Ever since I was a little California girl and despite growing up with the ocean just a few miles from our front door, I have loved the mountain's textured beauty, the vibrant and ever changing colors and the fresh, clean scents that fill my lungs and make me feel alive. 

California people have it so good.  The best of both worlds, just within a short driving distance.  When I was a kid, my family took many day trips to Big Bear, Crestline, and Wrightwood and that's when I really fell in love with the glorious creations of Mother Nature.....Crystal blue lakes, surrounded by tall pine trees, casting shadows across the rippling water. 

The rhythmic sounds of the Woodpeckers and discovering their handywork in the trees and cabins.  Tasting the brilliant white snow and making snow angels......breathing in the cool, crisp mountain air, the scent of pine.    

I am so happy that I have had the opportunity to live in this little mountain community that I call home, for the past 24 years.  I never take it for granted and I try to drink in it's beauty every day.

But, there's another side of me that is a beach person.  I have to feed that side of me too.  I love to vacation around water.  After all, I was a surfer girl.  I am mesmerized by the ocean and the daily changes of the tide. 

And fortunately, I have family that lives in Smith River, on the stunning California redwood coast.  I mean....right on the coast.  In a gorgeous home that overlooks the ocean, with a little private path to the beach below. 

The above photo, of the beach right below their house is one of my favorites, that I took when visiting my Aunt and Uncle's place last summer.  I love this photo so much that I use it on my computer "desktop." 

So, on Saturday morning, I am leaving to spend a few days with my Aunt and Uncle and replenish my ocean lovin' side.  Trish, my best friend and the one who helped me nurse Papa, is going along.  We deserve it and we need it after what we've been through. 

Now is the time.  We will enjoy our quiet time on the patio, watching the tide.  We'll walk the beach and leave footprints in the sand.  I'll take photos.  Lots of photos, because there's so much subject matter.  

We'll allow my family to pamper us with their wonderful cooking and hospitality.  They'll both keep us entertained.  My Uncle Lee can tell a great story just like Papa and he's lived such an interesting life.  

But.... my gosh, he looks so much like my dad.  I wonder if I can stand that part?    

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy your retreat at the Ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, that last line just tore my heart out.  The ocean is a great place for healing.  It's just where you need to go.  Lisa  :-]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a wonderful time!  Can't wait to see the pics when you get back.

    ~~Kath~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a mountain girl myself.   I suspect that seeing your uncle will actually be comforting...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!