
"To weep is to make less the depth of grief." ~William Shakespeare
In the past few years, when I actually began to wear my heart on my sleeve--instead of stuffing all those unhealthy emotions down into the depths of my sorrowful soul--I've found myself in the sometimes uncomfortable position of having the floodgates open w-i-d-e. Think...Cry Me a River....as I've released a shitload of buried hurts, resentments, assorted ill will, and the biggest for me....grief.
Yes, loss.
I don't do loss well.
I am far worse at "it" than being a landlord. Much worse at it than being a parent of alcoholics/addicts.
Abandonment issues? I dunno. Could be. Yes. Now that I think about it, I am sure of it. I hate the comings and goings of people close to me. Is there anything worse than losing the people we love? The death of people, relationships, pets? I don't think so.
In most cases...my tears represent my profound sense of sadness or loss and I find that it's extremely cathartic to let go of what's troubling me. I actually feel better having released those toxins and from what I've read, it's considered "healthy." The good thing is that I don't cry because I am clinically depressed-anymore.
Obviously...all crying is not created equal.
There are tears of joy on occasion. Most recently they were when I got to see my grandchildren..although I did not cry in front of them or their parents! Sentimental tears, you know the kind of feeling you can get when the National Anthem is played and the American Flag is proudly waving.
Sometimes I cry because of sheer frustration and/or anger, usually when I have just automatically "reacted" to a situation. It's kind of my kick in the pants for having been so impulsive, irrational or blatant evidence of my sense of shame. Thankfully, I am learning to express my emotions in a healthier way as I've realized that holding everything in until one literally explodes is not a healthy way to handle things.
Trust me, I don't cry for sympathy.
I prefer not to have an audience when I cry because, I am...well, vain and I don't cry pretty. It's ugly; swollen running nose and reddened eyelids, snot-snuffing, mouth-breathing, mascara dripping, handfuls of wet tissue, and deep sobs-crying. I am often mortified when I begin to cry in front of others. I like the comfort and privacy of my cryin' room.
But, I have one other place that I feel soooo free to cry openly and without judgement and that is with my Massage Therapist, while I am on her massage table. Over the ten years or so that I have been receiving regular massages from this wonderful woman, who's now in her 70's, we've developed a unique friendship and a sort of a hairdresser/client relationship. She knows my life story, heartbreaks, and she's allowed me to cry through several deaths, literally and figuratively and she's seen me naked. Well almost..as some of me is covered with a little towel as she does her magic! I feel like you can honestly trust someone who's seen you that naked, that often and they've put their hands on you too! Oh, the things she could tell!
Last night she was at her therapeutic best in more ways than one as I spilled my grieving guts and tears over my most recent loss. The loss of a friendship and love, and I am responsible for its sad demise.
I went right, when I could have gone left.
Choices.
Sliding door-type choices.
I am grieving.


i hope you don't have to grieve too long. I hate to think of you sad. i will send you some of my work i am doing. recovery cards. they are really awesome and I have a great logo for them. take care of you i am glad you are feeling your feelings today
ReplyDeleteHearts can't heal overnight. I think you have the right idea to let yourself grieve.
ReplyDeleteI also hate to cry in front of anyone, although I know there shouldn't be any shame in it. At least no one can see over the interwebs.
I'll be thinking of you.
And that's okay. Grieve away, my friend. Sometimes, it's necessary.
ReplyDeleteXOXO
grief is our way of honouring the life of a person or a relationship. Dont rush it- it is the completeion of a cycle where you gave your love and that needs to be honoured.
ReplyDeleteI work with grief regularly, and have seen the effects it has on people- and im not just talking about death- grief is a spider web of emtions and situations.
Honour the fact that you have and in this case, lost. it makes you so much more human and real.
Lisa xx
i'm the same way. i hold it inside though. i am probably so full of the toxins from the anger LOL.
ReplyDeletei don't even laugh hardly anymore, laughter is an emotion, and i have to keep such a tight rein on any emotion, because if ONE comes out, they ALL will come out and Pandora's box will be opened.
i can't have that.
you will be in my thoughts.
LET IT OUT!
ReplyDeleteI, too am a 'crier'. For many many reasons. I agree that it releases toxins from your soul.
I, too am a vain crier! "Is my mascara okay?" I know damn good and well it's not!
I, too have battled clinical depression for over half my life. It wasn't until recently that I have been able to distinguish 'I'm crying because I'm depressed' from 'I'm crying because it's a normal human emotion'.
So, go ahead and cry me a river luv!
I think the very fact that you recognize and acknowledge that what you're feeing is grief is a huge step in getting through it. I am so very sorry that your heart is hurt and I wish there was something I could do to help ease the pain you're feeling. Lisa, you have one of those hearts that is easy to see and love. I truly believe that others are drawn to that heart and among those people will be the one that can turn this grief into joy and contentment. When that happens for you I will be among the many that will celebrate with you.
ReplyDeleteThe only folks who do crying "pretty" are actors, so yes, crying in private is to me more revealing and healthy. As for "what could be worse than losing loved ones" I'd say never having them at all. Like the abused child, I'd rather be hit than ignored then later never remembered. Not to think of someone is like never having them in your life, and yes I think that's worse than losing the most loved ones. You bring out very sharp points but necessary to cope with life's stormy seas.
ReplyDeleteLisa I am heart broken for you, hearing of your grief. I would like to think that your going right offeres you many possibilities and opportunities in the long run and I hope your grief now is brief.
ReplyDelete(huge hugs)
Cat