Wednesday, February 25, 2009

By the Sea, By the Sea, By the Beautiful Sea...



"Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war." ~Loren Eiseley


They say everything is healed by the sea, so I am heading up to the ocean in Northern California for a few days! I took the photo above and also the one I use as my header, on the beach right in front of my Aunt and Uncle's home that overlooks that incredible view. Just after my dad died, I spent a week there, sitting on rocks, watching the waves and listening to the soothing sounds of the birds and the ocean. Healing. I can't stress how important that time was when I was so filled with grief.

I try to visit there every few months for the great company, food and pampering that they so kindly bestow upon me. They are both excellent cooks and hosts. My Aunt is an accomplished baker so there is always something yummy and sweet available. My uncle looks and sounds a lot like my late father, so I love to sit and talk with him, especially now. Since they both work for the prison system, we have lots of "war stories" to share and that's always fun.

Each time I visit, I find that I return happier and peaceful, having had a visit with people that I love dearly, along with that magnificent view and opportunity to walk the beach in solitude. I am one grateful woman!

Photos upon my return next week! I'll be in touch!

24 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful trip! I get a healing just by looking at the view!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in desperate need of some ocean healing myself! Be safe on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a peaceful, rejuvenating, wonderful visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! Get closer to the big waters and center your inner being. Works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take some you time, relax, get well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a remedy for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also taking a sanity break right now, as I visit my mother. Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to be beside your side,
    beside the sea,
    beside the sea side,
    by the beautiful sea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the beach! I'm a so-so surfer, but I do it as often a I and an EXPERT at appreciating it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sometimes all we need is a little love and TLC to get back to basics. i hope you have a fantastic weekend! LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, those are beautiful seascapes! Looks like a great place to escape,relax & reflect. I miss the beach, can't wait to the warmer weather comes.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have an excellent trip, my sweet friend!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, the Ocean is an amazing catalyst for healing. Its sounds, smell and feel are what bring me back to life when I am away from it for too long. Even in the Winter when water is too cold to dip into.. I can sit on the shore, bundled up and just listen to the song. Great post. Looking forward to the stories upon your return!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stumbled onto your site tonight via "Coffee and Cigarettes."

    I love the ocean as well and am blessed to only be 30 minutes away. Thank you for reminding me that I wait too long to take advantage of its serenity.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wait, my bags are packed..........wait wait wait........

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's amazing what the sound of the ocean can do for the soul. Enjoy, have fun and be safe. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Take care,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good for you - those pictures are beautiful - I cant wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your new quote on your profile.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I gave you an award on my blog! Happy vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can't wait to see the photos! Maria

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad to hear it. Did you enjoy your trip then?
    Love,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been to that beautiful place.

    Hoping you have a peaceful and restorative time.

    Lisa :-]

    ReplyDelete
  23. gosh it's been so long i miss your posts, I have been so busy tonight is catch up with old friends and i will look for you email and send you a line.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!