Friday, March 27, 2009

Taking Care of the "Girls"......

I probably should have gone to the doctor a couple of weeks ago when I first noticed an incredible amount of bruising on the top of my right breast.

I know better.

Considering my sister died of Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC) and bruising can be one of the symptoms of that particular type, I should have immediately got it checked. Click HERE to read more about IBC.

However, I chalked up the bruising to the mammogram I had on March 5th and today I finally got my head outta the sand (I told you I was an ostrich in a former life) and went to have it examined. I am still convinced it was from the mammogram, but I wanted to be sure. Not that I have ever been bruised during that procedure in the oh....20 or so times that I've had it done. But, maybe this time was different. She certainly flattened those suckers (no pun intended) to about the diameter of a dinner plate! Ok...so I am embellishing that just a tad. But...it was close! How in the HELL else would I get a broken blood vessel in the spot where they clamped down on my poor innocent boob?

sent Pictures, Images and Photos

I am faithful about having mammograms done, since I've had two lumps removed from my left breast and thankfully they were both benign. My recent mammogram results were fine...at least on paper. The radiology department didn't see the results of their torture device...I mean vise..until today. I headed right down there for an ultra-sound of both breasts after seeing a Nurse Practitioner in the OB/GYN department who seriously chastised me for waiting so long to come in, considering my personal history, my sister's history and the "Trauma" to my right breast! Thankfully she was still able to see the brusing and feel the lump where a blood vessel aparently burst!

Additionally, she examined me thoroughly and found what may be a cyst in the left breast which will probably be surgically removed. No needle biopsy for this woman as they are too unreliable and they HURT like HELL! One was enough for me and that was YEARS ago. I don't believe they've improved on the procedure. I think it's pretty much still a HUGE needle being thrust into your breast until it hits the suspect spot and then they attempt to withdraw fluid for testing. If they don't get fluid, they may try again. NOPE! It ain't happening.

She also ordered, I mean strongly suggested that I stop wearing underwire bras due to the danger of damage to the breast tissue from the wires. WHAT? No pretty underwire bras? Ugggghhh! We women like our underwire bras because they make us feel and look pretty and they keep the "girls" uplifted! But..I was a good patient and did what I was told. So...I did a little post-exam shopping and bought a couple of not-so-exciting-looking-bras. But, there again....who's looking anyway?

I will keep you posted.

Deflatedly,

Lisa

brest cancer awareness Pictures, Images and Photos

11 comments:

  1. You can get pretty bras at victoria's secret that don't have the wire. I hope everything turns out good with the cyst. My mom had one a few years ago that went away on it's own.
    Love,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, Lisa, Lisa
    thank the goddess you have taken the girls to be checked and yes, the cartoon is very funny and also very reminicent of my last boob squash experience.
    really , about the underwires ??
    I didnt know, and will certainly be looking further into this.
    Will soft bras hold my boobs up ?
    groan...always something to worry about.......i LOVE my ample cleavage !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must have been scary, seeing a bruise after what your sister went through. No underwire bras? I wonder if that applies to everyone; will have to check this out.
    Glad you had a 'clean bill of health.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new layout!
    WHAT?!? My underwire bra causes damage? These jugs are too doggone heavy to go without one!

    Glad to hear it was just damage from the mammogram, and hope all goes well with the lump removal!

    Love to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please do. My thoughts will be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please keep us posted. My doctor told me long ago to stop wearing the underwire, thus the reason my girls hang below the belly button or look as though their melting. Take care, my thoughts and prayers will be with you.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I too have had benign tumors removed, and I hate it when they say that mammograms don't hurt and they act like we're big babies because we don't like to have them. I gave up underwire bras as advised several years ago. But, man they must have smashed you good to burst a blood vessel! The cartoon is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. funny cartoon!

    My wife wants me to quit wearing underwire bras too....specifically hers. ha ha ha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I buy my bras at Lane Bryant, as I'm a bit well-endowed on top. They're not underwire, but offer fantastic support.

    I do hope everything is okay, love. Please do keep us updated.

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good-fitting bra should not cause any damage to the breast, but, to be save, do as she's suggesting.
    Glad you got things checked out.

    OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!