Saturday, April 17, 2004

Out of the Mouth of an Oklahoma Babe….

There’s always somebody to rain on your parade.

Those who take great delight in being hateful and unkind. You know the kind, the type that can suck the joy out of a room, simply by walking through the door. One of those people decided to email me the other day via AOL, after the Miss USA pageant, in which my 19 year old cousin, Lindsay Hill; Miss Oklahoma had participated. A fact that I had proudly announced in my journal in a recent entry.

Then the other day a fellow journalist devoted an entry to Miss Oklahoma saying she couldn’t represent the country because she was "dim" and "the judges thought 'we can’t have a total airhead representing the USA'!"

Then here’s what the guy who wrote me (gender assumption on my part) had to say, which is copied exactly from the email:

your cousin is an airhead. quite possible the worst answers ever uttered on miss usa. Sorry

I couldn’t resist. I had to write back. Normally I don't use profanity, because it just isn't lady-like, but.....Oh, just read my response for yourself:

Well, how kind of you to write......A@#H%&E!

Now, I guess he thinks that we didn’t notice that her answers to the "random" questions weren’t exactly profound, and he felt compelled to tell us. What a guy!

Didn’t he hear our family’s collective sigh when she responded to one question saying that she didn’t like "country music!" An Okie girl, from the Heartland of America, who doesn’t like country music. Oh, the horrors.

We didn’t sit there and give one another high fives like a contestants on Family Feud, saying…."Good answer, GOOD answer!" as the buzzer signified that no one in the audience came up with that stupid response on the answer board.

Then came the final question…..Who would you like to have dinner with that night and what would you ask them?…..and she said…."Justin Timberlake!" and "We could hang out, and I’d ask him if he could show me a few cool dance moves!"

Yeah, yeah, I know, there were a million ways to go with that and probablyany one of those other cookie-cutter looking, experienced beauty queens would have provided the p-e-r-f-e-c-t answer.

Granted…her off-the-cuff response probably was not the best choice in answers for a dinner partner in the eyes of the adult judges and audience, since right now he’s more known for exposing Janet Jackson’s breast on national television than being a young rock superstar….but, hey she’s a 19 year old, small town kid, who up until 6 months ago was just a shy college girl listening to Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson and Justin Timberlake’s music.

It was an honest, pure and innocent answer from a young lady new to all of that pageant stuff from a small Oklahoma town, who didn't know she was beautiful until someone pointed it out to her.

Perhaps, like Sandra Bullock in Miss Congeniality, a more suitable and politically correct answer would have been "I’d love to have dinner with Justin Timberlake. We’d hang out and I’d ask him to show me a few cool dance moves, uhhhh....to some good country music. ::beaming:: Then we’d discuss, ummmmmm....world peace!

That’s right, I’d ask him about what young people can do to promote world peace through music!  Thank You!" ::waving and smiling with her brilliant white teeth, to grand applause as she is returning to the white dot marking her place on stage::

Regardless, we are very, very proud of her and her accomplishments in the past few months, as are the people of Oklahoma and her small home town.

She’s not an "airhead" and she ain’t "dim" either. She’s honored to have been among the finalists, and no doubt, never expected to beat out any of the others to get that far.

And….I guess that the promoters of the pageant know that not all of the young women know how to properly present themselvesto the public, because one of the prizes for the Miss USA is……public relations/media training. Imagine that!

Oh....and I forgot, all is not lost.....Donald Trump came up to her at the after pageant party and said........"Lindsay, You're HIRED!"  Then he called her the next day to discuss hiring her as a model.  He and a hundred others who've called that want to sign her on! 

She'll be laughing all the way to the bank!

You go girl!

 

6 comments:

  1. What a jerk!!  One of my former students has vyed for the Miss Mississippi crown, finishing 1st runner up twice.  The coaching that goes on after you win that title is unbelievable.  It is refreshing to know that we heard an honest, all-her-own answer instead of what the Coaches would have instilled.  Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe someone would waste time emailing negative comments about your pageant-competing cousin.  Does someone need to get a life?
    I'm sure it was a great experience for her.  Lisa  :-]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to your cousin.  I didn't catch the pageant, but obviously she made a really good impression on some really influential people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI. My name is Jeri. I saw the pageant and I thought Lindsay WAS going to win till she answered the random q's. I must say they aren't the most intellectual answers, but they are true and come from the heart. Tell Lindsay hey for me!
    Jeri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, congratulations to Lindsay anyway.  She's beautiful and I'm sure she'll do quite well.  

    And congrats to you for asserting your right to self-expression.  Editors?  We don't need no stinking editors!... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!