This guy was enjoying the weather at our County Fair a lot more than me today! It was about 97 degrees down there. Yuk.
Ab joined Junior Farmers this year, and has been raising a lamb to show and sell at the fair, and it's finally that time! I think she was kinda anxious about it all this morning, because we had to pull over on the side of the road so she could puke. That's never happened before. But there again, she's never done anything like this, ever. She was fine the rest of the day, thank goodness.
Today was the health check and weigh in and Jake weighed 121 pounds. He was healthy, happy and well behaved. Tomorrow is the "showmanship" portion of the event where the kids are judged in the ring. Tuesday the lamb will be judged in the "market show" portion and Friday, the lambs will be sold at auction. Thankfully, she's not too attached. I believe she sees the dollar signs a'coming.
The kids were busy doing the last minute shearing today and that's quite a job in itself, especially in this heat. It was impressive to see them all work together and help one another to get the job done.
Ab was there from about 12 noon until 8:00 this evening and she was dirty, hungry and tired when it was all said and done. She's going to have to sleep fast, because she's got to be there at..... ::cringe::....6:30 a.m. tomorrow to bathe Jake before the showmanship trial. I'll post pictures of them both later!
Wish her luck!


The puking part is kinda sad, and kinda funny at the same time. I hesitate to ask, what happens to this lamb after she sells it? Lisa :-]
ReplyDeleteIt's a Farmer's Market auction.... I am new to this also, and I think they are bought for a variety of reasons, like breeding/stud, but me thinks, mostly meat (kinder than just coming out and saying IT don't ya think?). YUK. Lisa
ReplyDeleteHi Lisa,
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are incredibly busy! But that is a good thing......keeps you and Abbie "out of trouble"! Good Luck with the animals at the fair. Abbie's anxious puking sounds like me when I was about her age. I would get excited about an event and...well, puke happens!
Have a GREAT day1
Sharon