Wednesday, September 29, 2004

A Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On.......

Here’s what’s been shakin’ around here! Really, shaking. 5.0 on the Richter Scale.

Earth-shattering news for sure!

At 3:55 today our little town was rattled again by the White Wolf fault, that shoots off the famous and huge San Andreas Fault that we just happen to sit upon. And, not very securely, I might add. In 1952 this mountain town was severely damaged by a deadly quake that took the lives of several people as they slept early that morning. Fortunately, today there was no significant damage from what I’ve been told. At work we found a broken steam pipe under one of the buildings, but since that place is so old, they’re really not sure when the break occurred. But, good looking out to whomever found it.

I never used to be concerned about earthquakes. Having been in this area all my life, I am used to them and didn’t fear them in the least. In fact, I found them rather interesting and would just enjoy the experience as a fascinating part of life. That is, until about 4-5 years ago, when we had two serious shakers in about 2 hours. I think it was the Landers and the Big Bear quakes that particular day. They were the strongest I had ever experienced and I gained a healthy respect for the power of Mother Nature right then and there. I can’t remember if that was before the horrifying Northridge quake or not. But that one was a real thriller too and of course, the devastation to those in the immediate area was incredible.

We Californians know that we are way overdue for the BIG ONE and we always joke about the ocean front property we’ll have. I am just hoping that it’s not anything like the one that was in Iran not too long ago, where they had to bury something like….50,000 poor souls. Scary.

4 comments:

  1. When I heard about the earthquakes, I thought about you.  Jeez, Lisa...scary stuff indeed!  I wonder if this is at all related to the Mt. St. Helens thing, and if we'll BOTH be sitting on oceanfront property pretty soon!  LOL!  Lisa  :-]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
       I am enjoying reading your journal and I have a "journal alert" set up that AOL notifies my email when you have a new entry.
       I didn't feel the "shakers" nor did I even know about them until late last night on the news. I guess nothing "shakes" me up too much since our Big Bear quake 12 years ago. Now that got my attention!.....and I hope to never again experience one that strong!
    Take care kiddo,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having lived in Texas all my life and never even making a visit to the west coast, I have no idea what an earthquake is like.  I don't necessarily know that I'd like to either.  I prefer my ground stable, thanks. LOL  I'm hearing a lot about natural disasters lately... all the hurricanes this year, the earthquakes, and Armandt is keeping a close eye on Mt. St. Helens, which is showing some disturbing activity.  Scurry stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, we are getting some shakin goin on up here in Northwest OR. Our Mt. St. Helens is trying to get a little attention. She is having about 3 or 4 quakes a min. I have been in a few minor earthquakes and did not feel fear but pure Awe of the power of Mother Earth.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!