Friday, December 26, 2008

Letting Go of the Past and Moving Forward.....

I've read Eckhart Tolle's powerful book, A New Earth over and over again, trying to ensure that I keep his message about consciousness forefront in my mind. This excerpt/story really hits home for me, and maybe with some of you as well.

a new earth Pictures, Images and Photos


The inability or rather unwillingness of the human mind to let go of the past is beautifully illustrated in the story of two Zen monks, Tanzan and Ekido, who were walking along a country road that had become extremely muddy after heavy rains. Near a village, they came upon a young woman who was trying to cross the road, but the mud was so deep it would have ruined the silk kimono she was wearing. Tanzan at once picked her up and carried her to the other side.

The monks walked on in silence. Five hours later, as they were approaching the lodging temple, Ekido couldn't restrain himself any longer. "Why did you carry that girl across the road? he asked. "We monks are not supposed to do things like that."

"I put the girl down hours ago," said Tanzan. "Are you still carrying her?

We can learn to break the habit of accumulating and perpetuating old emotion by flapping our wings, metaphorically speaking, and refrain from mentally dwelling on the past, regardless of whether something happened yesterday or 30 years ago. Nothing ever happened in the past that can prevent you from being present now; and if the past cannot prevent you from being present now, what power does it have?


bar1 Pictures, Images and Photosbar1 Pictures, Images and Photos

Once I started to make peace with my recent past, by forgiving myself and others and now that I sincerely try to live just in the moment, I've found that life is starting to make a lot more sense and it's not nearly the "struggle" that I had thought. I let go; quit hanging on for dear life and instead, life is unfolding as it should, without my help. I am no longer stressing over what may or may not be up ahead! I am finding new meaning in the cliche' "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans!"

It's become easier to just enjoy my abundant blessings and the people that I cherish in this world. Those utterly simple things that mean so much in life......movies that I wouldn't be able to sit through a few years ago because I couldn't quiet my mind and body long enough; holding hands, thoughtful gifts from my children, my grandson's sweet, little 2 year old voice on the telephone and a photo of my newest and healthy grandson within hours of his birth, the announcement of a new baby in the near future for my brother and sister-in-law, a quiet snowfall during Christmas Day, a plate of home-cooked food brought to me after a gathering I didn't attend, the joy on the face of my loved ones when they saw their special Christmas gifts, my ability to stay out of little spats with my girls....all this and so much more is what I think "peace of mind" is all about. It's something that I have to consciously work at, but it's way better than where I was at a few weeks ago!

Wishing you all peace!




I took this photo in the snow on my deck the other day, using one of my Christmas decorations. I thought it was perfect for this entry but I couldn't get it the right size, it's either too big or too small! If you're wondering why the snow looks red, it's because I edited the photo to have a tint of soft red around the edges.

10 comments:

  1. I love A NEW EARTH too! And I agree, that is one of those books that you need to pick up and read a little of often. It takes time to digest and process so many of the concepts he writes about.

    I am so thrilled for you that you're seeing the results that you are. It really is the simple things in life that bring us the most joy and peace. It's the moments, not the days. To remember that little tidbit alone can make a big difference.

    I think you and I are sort of on the same growth path. I wish you were here to have a cup of coffee with and discuss such things.

    Love
    Melissa
    Ohhh and Congratulations on the new grandbaby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I really needed this right now, as you can tell from my last blog. I actually read that book, its right by my bedside. I obviously need to read it again. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that old Buddhist parable, it's one of my favorites. I saw a nice plaque while Christmas shopping that said, "Don't let yesterday take up too much of today." or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The problem with blogger and pictures is that they want to do that small/medium/large thing. You can go into html and change the size to what you like, but lots of people aren't comfortable doing that. The html route is how I used to change pic sizes, but I've found a better way. Download the free program LiveWriter and use it as your blogging tool. Not only does it allow you to put your pictures the exact size you want without going into html, but there are lots of other advantages... like doing your entry offline, not losing an entry accidentally is Blogger's website glitches... ability to do drafts and save them on your own computer.. and more! Can you tell I like this program? LOL! If you want to try it, it is free... AND, you don't have to download anything but the one program. Some people think they have to download the whole Windows Live thing, but you don't. Just go to the LiveWriter page and download just the one program.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved every minute I spent reading and rereading this book. Such an amazing experience. I try to keep it in my present moments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to get that book and read it. It sounds much like what my mom always tried to teach me and I need her gentle reminders.

    As for the photo, I post all my entries through livewriter - great program, easy to use, free to download and you can adjust the photo size in the entry. I refuse to do it any other way now.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful photo! I have taken steps to leave the past behind, but my family enjoys speaking of the past on a regular basis! I'm working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the picture looks great!

    And the book sounds really good...maybe I need to read it too.

    I have trouble sitting through a movie as well.

    But, autism has taught me to savor the 'little' things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you had a lovely Christmas, Lisa. Have a Happy New Year, too, filled with these wise discoveries... Lisa :-]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just an FYI, I FINALLY bought the book tonight. I'm about to turn off the music and have some quiet time reading. What little bit I read at the bookstore had me wanting to sit and read more.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!