
About 0430 this morning, I was awakened by an "Ocular Migraine" which actually doesn't hurt like a regular migraine, instead it's rather entertaining, if you can look at it that way! Pun intended!
Really!
If you keep your eyes closed, you get to see exciting black, white and silverish repetitive patterns which flash and change! They look like something M.C. Escher would draw, like his picture above......which I've slightly altered with the Xs because it was rather graphic and I didn't actually see nekkid people, so neither should you in my attempt to give you a proper visual aid.
Anyway, it's kind of like what I'd envision a trip on LSD while in the black and white part of the Beatle's movie, The Yellow Submarine!
I am not a doctor so.....
According to the experts...
Usually, an ocular migraine is not cause for concern. But ocular migraine symptoms can interfere with daily activities, such as reading and driving. These episodes, also called migraine aura or optical migraine, occur without a headache and are relatively common.
During an ocular migraine, you may see:
Flashes of light
Zigzagging patterns
Blind spots
Shimmering spots or stars
No one knows exactly what causes ocular migraines. In some people, it's related to eating certain foods such as chocolate, nuts, shellfish or artificial sweeteners such as aspartame. Others may have ocular migraine episodes brought on by caffeine or alcohol. Some believe that tension and fatigue are linked to this condition, but researchers have not found a consistent link.
It's possible that you may have several ocular migraine episodes in a short interval of time, and then not experience any for months or even years before experiencing additional episodes. If ocular migraines persist, worsen or become accompanied by a migraine headache, talk to your doctor to seek appropriate treatment for your condition.
End of the medical stuff..........................
Personally, I don't know what is causing my ocular migraines NOW. Probably hormones, or the lack there of. When it first began it was rather alarming becaused it happened at work, during daylight hours and I couldn't see, walk or drive. I am sure it was stress related at that time...why wouldn't it be? Geez.
But, I had all the proper medical tests to determine that the brain that I really do have-was in there and functioning somewhat "normal!"
So, now when I have "Visions of Escher", the first thing I do is check my CPAP machine.....

to make sure the breathing hose isn't wrapped around my neck....

and that I am still breathing! You can never be too sure, because with pretty pictures like that going on in your head...it's easy to think you may be in Heaven. And...I am looking forward to meeting up with M.C. Escher in my Heavenly real estate someday.
YES, in addition to being clumsy, I've got one of those things because without it I snore A LOT and then I STOP breathing about 30 times an hour, which is just considered MILD sleep apnea! Yeah, tell that to someone who woke up mildly dead!
Cave Man says that sleeping with someone wearing something like this on their face would be like sleeping with someone with scuba gear!
I don't think he's very damn adventurous!


I get those thingies all the time, except mine are like looking at a crescent of a kaliedoscope. Colorful but they tend to block out the front sights on my Glock.
ReplyDeleteMaybe Caveman just hasn't watched Blue Velvet. LOL
p.s. I'm stillwaiting for someone to claim Piqua, Ohio.
ReplyDeleteI've never experienced an ocular migraine, but I've had my CPAP machine for a month now. The sleep test revealed I was stopping breathing about thirty times and hour also. What a difference that machine has made!
ReplyDeleteSam
Remo...I have NO idea who that may be! We'll have to watch to see if they come back and if they don't we'll do an APB, how's that? LOL!
ReplyDeleteSam....I didn't think I'd get used to that dang machine, but I did and I LOVE it! It's helped me so much! Glad yours is working for you too!
Aspartame?
ReplyDeleteHormones weren't on the list provided...
Cave Man has asked me to tell you that your memory is bit tweaked...maybe due to the hormonal thingy. He says that he told you that "it would be like sleeping next to Darth Vader;" however, since you don't much care for such fare then maybe your brain just used transference to fit in the imagery that worked for you.
Maybe Remo hasn't watched Star Wars under the bus...
And, he says...you have no idea how adventurous he truly is...as he is a truly deep man; however, has never had any amorous inclinations towards Darth Vader. Although he does not oft venture from the confines of the cave...he does enjoy the occasional ad-venture.
He also mentioned that he must be so very cautious when, in the leaving, he is seen, upon his return, as the escaped prisoner come to share wild tales of an unknown country, an unseen reality, with those others who remained chained within...and so...he oft despairs in their disbelief of the Sun and the moon and all the modern day mechanisms the fritter about.
Oh...And he also, a bit tersely, mentioned that Remo's veiled reference of the connection to Blue Velvet was a bit beneath the bus.
Is "becaused: a new word? I like new words... LOL...
Cave Man is waving goodbye...
Me, too...