Thursday, March 19, 2009

Lake Shasta-Northern California in Black and White



Sometimes editing a photo to black and white makes it more dramatic and it's often preferable to some people! Here's the same shot as the earlier entry!

The "brush" in front of the photo is actually a Manzanita tree, and the naturally hard wood is often harvested and used to make beautiful walking staffs, bird perches and other crafts.

From Wikipedia: Manzanita is a common name for many species of the genus Arctostaphylos. They are evergreen shrubs or small trees present in the chaparral biome of western North America, where they occur from southern British Columbia in Canada, Washington to California and New Mexico in the United States, and throughout much of northern and central Mexico. They are characterized by smooth, orange or red bark and stiff, twisting branches. There are about 60 species of manzanita, ranging from ground-hugging coastal and mountain species to small trees up to 6m tall. Manzanitas bloom in the winter to early spring and carry berries in spring and summer. The berries and flowers of most species are edible.

The word manzanita is the Spanish diminutive of manzana (apple). A literal translation would be little apple. Traditional uses of the plant include collecting the berries, drying them, and grinding them up into a coarse meal. Fresh berries and branch tips were also soaked in water and drunk, making a refreshing cider. When the bark curls off, it can be used as a tea for nausea and upset stomach. The younger leaves are sometimes plucked and chewed by hikers to deter thirst. Native Americans used Manzanita leaves as toothbrushes.
Click to make this photo larger!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    Thanks soooo much for always posting encouraging messages on my blog. I wanted to return the favor, so I sent a mass email to everyone I know to promote the Operation hearts and Minds effort. I, too, intend to send him something, Jackson and I will out a packe of love together. Cant wait to hear more about it. You have a wonderful son, just like me. Blessings and hugs to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like black and white pics, it seems to give a different vibe to a picture. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would SO love to visit California!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love manzanita. It is so beautiful. Mt. Shasta and Lake Shasta and the surrounding area is such a magical place. Very spiritual. You have captured the feeling tones in this photo. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lake Shasta was just up the road from where I grew up. Beautiful pictures. Thanks for bringing back a wonderful memory. Take care,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just started playing around with my photo editor. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the information. I like to use black and white for buildings and people. Very dramatic stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw the words "hardwood" and "berries" and immediately wondered if this would be a great wood for smoking meats (most of the best woods for smoking are hardwoods that bear fruit or nuts, like apple, hickory or cherry)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm...in this case? I think I like the color shot better, although most times, I prefer black and white. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm trying to like B and W's more...but sometimes it just doesn't work for me. With this Shasta photo, I prefer the colors.
    Still lovely either way!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. It does make for a great photo. Even though I think I would cut some off the bottom (around 1/4 to 1/3) to make the foreground less dominating compared to the clouds and cliffs.
    But still it is a very good photo :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!