Saturday, March 28, 2009

Underwire Bras and Breast Cancer? Fact or Fiction....

While doing a little online research on Breast Cancer "risks" associated with underwire bras, due to my doctor's visit yesterday, I came across this article by Anne Kreuger, which pretty much cites this theory as a "rumor" not supported by the American Cancer Society. Obviously, there is some real concern in the medical community to "support" the possibility that underwire bras may be problematic. You all can decide for yourselves! There is a ton of info on the web on this subject if you are interested!

Breast Cancer Awareness Pictures, Images and Photos


Underwire Bras and Breast Cancer-by Anne Kreuger

Sometimes I feel like my bra is killing me. Not literally, of course: Just poking or binding me or making itself known in ways that are extremely annoying. If I didn’t think it would alarm the UPS man or any other visitor to my front door (I work at home), I would go braless all the time. That would please one Ralph L. Reed, PhD, because he thinks that brassieres—particularly when they’re too tight—literally could be killing women by causing breast cancer.

Reed puts forth his theories for the Natural Health and Longevity Resource Center, but I had actually heard this before. Rumor has it that underwire bras can cause cancer, due to the way they allegedly compress the lymphatic system under the arms and breasts, supposedly causing a buildup of toxins. Two medical anthropologists, Soma Grismaijer and Sydney Ross Singer, wrote a book called Dressed to Kill on this subject that—more than a decade after its printing—is still generating spirited debate on Amazon.com!

The thing is, even though this rumor pops up again and again, the research just isn’t there to back up the bra/breast-cancer theory, according to the experts at the American Cancer Society. It’s true that women who are obese have a slightly higher risk of getting BC. And perhaps obese women with big boobs are more likely to wear bras than women with flat chests—voilĂ , an urban myth was born. “But wearing a regular or underwire bra during the day or night, or just wearing tight clothing, does not affect breast-cancer risk,” says Marisa C. Weiss, MD, director of breast radiation oncology at Lankenau Hospital in Wynnewood, Pa., and founder of Breastcancer.org. Her new book on breasts, Taking Care of Your Girls, comes out in September (2008).

7 comments:

  1. I cannot imagine life without an underwire bra! Once you've gotten used to one I don't think it's possible to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot imagine these things are linked, however, I think there must be environmental reasons behind outbreaks of cancer - There are so many chemicals in the air, in our clothes, in the cleaning solutions we use, in the air, and mobile 'phones with all those microwaves... And microwaves - I must stop now or else I shall retreat to my room with only a tinfoil hat for company and protection! Have a fab Sunday SW2SMom! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm relieved for you! (I, however, don't own a bra!)

    But I loved your pink ribbon from yesterday: Save second base! (That one made me laugh.) I would wear that one to the lunch room at work: an elementary school with only one other male on staff. Most of my co-workers would laugh or boo. I'm not sure which.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post, I hate cancer but i love cancer awareness. Are you signed up to check your boobies.com? They send you an email reminder every month to check your boobs. they even do boob parties and have great gifts with little ta-tas on them to help support the fight against cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for this Lisa.i am inspired to find out more xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be honest...after seeing how badly the American Academy of Pediatrics have botched up handling the autism epidemic, I don't have much faith in ANY of the 'American Academies.'

    And I believe there are a TON of things in our environment which can trigger various forms of cancer or other diseases in humans.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wont be giving mu underwire up until I get a boob job - then I wont need the support - and will in fact even consider joining a nudist colony! ( :P )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!