Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Winter Weather Woes

Oh........the weather outside is frightful!

Snow Pictures, Images and Photos

We've had the brunt of our Arctic Winter snow storm that we've been warned about and wringing our hands over for days now. Over the past 30 hours or so we've had a whopping total of 3-5 inches of the pretty powdery stuff!

Maybe that much.

In this sleepy little California mountain town, we always treat the threat of snow as a possible terrorist attack or at the very least a natural disaster of major proportions. We act like it's NEVER happened before!

EVER!

The schools have been shut down and boarded up for two whole days, much to the delight of my high schooler who's been aspiring to become the first in our family to attain the proud distinction of obtaining a GED instead of a diploma, anyway!

I'll tell you how bad our storm is, last night they cancelled the Al-Anon meeting/holiday potluck! Can you imagine?

And...I just got off the telephone with a friend who's hosting our monthly Bunco game, which was supposed to be held tonight. It's now postponed until next week!

I shudder, recalling my days as a prison Watch Commander, remembering how damn hard it was to get people to come to work in our 24 hour operation in the snow. If only I had a quarter for every time I uttered the phrase...... "Inclement weather is NOT an excuse for NOT coming to work!"

Idiots!

Yeah...we're all a bunch of sissies-with four wheel drive vehicles, I might add!

I like to blame all this big winter-time fuss on the flat-landers who've moved up here from sunny Los Angeles, (thanks to an article in Sunset Magazine about how this place is one of the best kept secrets for a "wonderful small-town lifestyle" in California) and ruined our peaceful little town with "Big Box" stores and their road rage tendencies while driving!

Snow or not!

Really, we should be embarrassed. You people who REALLY get SNOW and ICE storms would find it hysterical that we'd even get a little up in arms over our smattering of chicken feather flakes that make us picture postcard perfect, and lasts for oh, say.....a day.

Maybe.

We have a nifty motto for our town; "The Land of Four Seasons" and we've always joked that sometimes we get all four seasons in one day!

Right now, true to our motto....it's sunny and all our snow is melting fast. But, give it a little while and we'll turn it into a pending flash flood!

I am heading for higher ground!

12 comments:

  1. I lived in Washington state for 5 years. There were two seasons...hot and cold. Nothing in between.

    I missed the four DISTINCT seasons of the east coast desperately.

    BTW..my mom overreacts like that about inclement weather...and she's lived in snow country her entire life ! LOL

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have seen the locals here with ten hours of rain. Ten wrecks in two hours.

    "You can't fix stupid"

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we even get a dusting of snow, school closes and there is a run on the grocery stores for bread and milk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I worked at Expedia, I LOVED when it snowed as I could call in and use the inclement weather excuse ... besides I wasn't an "essential" employee. Now at the hospital I unfortunately couldn't get away with that - I HAD to be to work and a little snow wasn't stopping anyone. ::sigh:: However, on the other hand, to get to Expedia, all the employees had to go down a really steep hill and there were a LOT of accidents on that road when it would snow.

    We are expecting snow here tomorrow - I guess I'll have to go out in it. I'd rather stay home inside next to my imaginary fireplace.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL You are too much. : x


    I HATE SNOWWW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We got about four inches here... in a matter of several hours. No roads closed, no calls of emergencies... just life as usual, only driving a little slower. ;)
    Love,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's snowing like crazy here...but I doubt they'll call in the army ever again to clean it up! Do you know how much ridicule Toronto faced years ago for doing that!? I come from a small town where we can barely see the road from the sidewalks in the winter because there's so much snow! Stomping through a few inches is nothing for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was hilarious! We're used to snow and icy roads here in No. Kentucky. I don't mind driving in any amount of snow, but the ice terrifies me.

    There is no such thing as calling in sick on a snow day at the hospital. They'll come get me. No kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am CRAVING a good snowfall. we haven't had one yet. i love snow, but hate how everyone else around here reacts to it. we get at least a few feet here & there throughout the season but these people act lke we have never seen it in our lives. ha ha ha ha. send the snow to ME!
    :]

    ReplyDelete
  10. This really gave me a good laugh, thinking of 16-ft snowfalls in the 50s and 4th grade was still open and we kids were sliding all over the place, buried in the stuff - no roads but people drove anyway lol. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is funny :)

    Here in New England, it can be STILL SNOWING and the school busses are still picking up the kids like usual. Today I busted my knuckle skin scraping the thick ice off of my car. Gloves, you ask? Scoff! No gloves, just out there in my t-shirt. It was over 32 degrees. No problem. Har.

    Sorry I haven't been commented over here, I read when I can, but sometimes your entries are long and I don't get through them before little girl wants to climb on my lap, then computer time is all over! Just wanted to let you know I have been here!!! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like our snow days. We don't get it very much and when we do, chaos. Of course, we've never had to call in the army like Toronto...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!