
I am one happy, peaceful woman.
There’s nowhere I’d rather be right now * than enjoying this moment of pure bliss by the dancing yellow flames of the fireplace, as I watch the lazy, dark river pass by while watching an assortment of colorful, greedy birds partake in a feast of black oil sunflower seed, perched on the rail of my deck at my Tennessee condo.
I am savoring and extremely thankful for this quiet time alone. There are no dogs barking, no traffic noise, and no snippy little comments to filter out as the girls banter back and forth with piss poor attitudes. It’s so incredibly quiet that I can become somewhat startled when there is the slightest unfamiliar noise, like the assorted unidentifiable pops, creaks, and boards groaning that one attributes to a house settling. The lack of noise, makes it easy to hear the pusher boat moving the barges up and down the river, long before they get close.
This is somewhere that I could find myself spending months at a time, perhaps even attending Austin Peay University which is just a couple of miles away. After my nest is empty, I may consider doing that!
While en route here on the airplane, I listened to a pod cast from Oprah’s Soul Series, in which the speaker was talking about how in life we tend to “row our boats upstream while wearing ourselves out by struggling with the paddles” and how by just letting go of the oars, our canoe gently turns around to go with life’s flow and it all becomes so much easier. I’ve found this to be so true lately and life continues to unfold as it should, without my resistance, influence or help.
A case in point…..
By not having expectations or high hopes for this trip, I’ve been truly blessed. Yesterday, my son called and invited me to join he and his family, including his wonderful in-laws for lunch at Cracker Barrel (I LOVE that place and we don‘t have them at home) and then an afternoon of bargain hunting at the local mall. I spent about 6 hours with all of them, thoroughly enjoying my oldest grandson’s antics and ever increasing vocabulary and cuddling with the newborn, who’s already gained nearly 2 pounds since his birth a couple weeks ago!
It was almost like we’d never had any problems whatsoever. However, I am not so naïve to assume that all is forgiven at least on the DIL’s part, but it’s definitely a start and I am very grateful. The time I spent with them yesterday was way more than I imagined under the circumstances, so it was a huge gift.
I took several photos of both children to share with the family at home. My newborn grandson has sooooo much hair, that he almost needs a haircut. It’s a good thing his other grandma is a hairstylist, because he’s going to be needing her services before long!
Speaking of photos, one of my Christmas gifts from my son and his family was one of those digital photo key chains, which I’d been wanting! It was filled with about 60 photos of all of them! I love it! My DIL is very creative and she put together a gift for me of an assortment of greeting and note cards, stationary and a pen, with a laminated card of Fly Boy’s address in Afghanistan, so there’d be no excuse to NOT to write him when he’s deployed. I thought that was such a clever idea, all tied up with a pretty bow! I will definitely use all of it over this next year.
Fly Boy was scheduled to depart for Afghanistan tomorrow, but apparently he’s been given the gift of an extra week, and is now supposed to leave Friday, January 15th. I will cherish any extra time I get to spend with him before that time.
Currently, I don’t have internet access at the condo, so I am in Starbucks using WiFi. However, on Monday, I am having the cable company add internet capabilities so that I don’t go into computer withdrawls.
Oh…and Lisa’s travel tip for the day………………………..
Do NOT…I repeat, DO NOT let your driver’s license expire prior to any cross-country air travel, as you will be flagged by the airline for an up close and personal pat down search and all your belongings will be intimately scrutinized, x-rayed and tested for chemicals necessary for bomb-making adding at least another 20 minutes or so to your security screening. And….the TSA agents will give you the stink eye, because you deserve it for being soooo stupid.
Additionally, car rental companies will NOT rent you an automobile, if your license is not current, despite the fact it’s only been a few weeks since your birthday when you were supposed to renew your driver’s license which is something most responsible citizens do every 4 years. While they will not come right out and call you an idiot to your face, as it’s probably against company policy….but let me tell you…they are certainly thinking it……….EINSTEIN!
Well, I think I will go out for a bit and get some fresh air.
And by the way………I am so glad you aren’t here! :)
In glorious solitude,
Lisa
* Except for maybe hanging out with Cave Man, but I figured that he couldn’t ever miss me if I didn’t go away!


I'm so glad your son gets another week at home.
ReplyDeleteHe deserves it!
This was beautiful. I am glad it has brought you some peace. Enjoy your time, and good luck to you and Fly Boy: Afghanistan is no easy place these days. If you get a chance, tell him I said good luck, and thank him for me, for what he's doing. A hard job, indeed.
ReplyDeletePeace,
IG
What excellent news all around...well, except for the driver's license part. LOL
ReplyDeleteI hope you enjoy your stay. The place you've described sounds idyllic.
XOXO
Wow what a great feeling surrender can be. Thanks for wishing me happy birthday
ReplyDeleteLisa,
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful, poetic entry. I feel calm just reading it.
So glad you're giving yourself these gifts.
Hugs,
Nancy
Enjoy your son and his family as much as you possibly can before he deploys. I also hope you enjoy the peace and quiet!
ReplyDeleteMelissa
Lisa, I smiled all over myself when I read that you got to visit with your son and see those grandchildren! There is sure something to be said for "letting go", I don't think we believe it though, until we see it happen in our own lives.
ReplyDeleteI think your DIL's gift to you was very thoughtful and that's a good sign!!!
So glad you're having a great time in your solitude, as I type this I'm on lunch break at work 10 hours into a 16.5 hour shift and I would soooo love some of that solitude you talked about! Enjoy, enjoy!
Hugs,
Melissa
It does sound GOOD!
ReplyDeleteWhew, it must be your turn.
Enjoy your time with your family.
ReplyDeleteHope the trips continues to go smoothly. Have a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteI'm so super jealous. I wants some cave time. This sounds SO awesome.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you have a few extra weeks to enjoy with Fly Boy!
Your vacation/respite sounds wonderful! I have only been to Clarksville once but I do remember it as a charming town. I know my small town living has transformed me! Enjoy!
ReplyDeletelove and hugs!
heather
You sound so wonderfully upbeat - and I love that you get more time with your son!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments
ReplyDeleteYou have so much going on - I'm really glad you got that peace and time. I'm so glad you're son got a little extra time before he deploys.
ReplyDeleteI'm thrilled to hear you've had some quality time with your family and gotten to enjoy the grandbabies.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure everyone is happy to have your soldier home a few days longer.