Today I enjoyed my peaceful and warm home, watching chicken-feather looking snowflakes fall, but never long enough to stick. It's the second snowfall of the season and I stayed in all day to avoid it, except to run out for something to eat.
I've had a very restful, yet productive weekend in making strides to "renovate" my life. Over the past few years, with Bubba's behavior, Papa's illness and my depression taking it's toll, I let the housework and home maintenance deteriorate. With my remodeling and my focused de-cluttering, I plan on changing the look and comfort level of our home.
I think I was almost turning into my mother! Heaven forbid! Having strong "collector" genes, it's hard for me to let things go and then we get overwhelmed with stuff. This stuff has got to go and I am whittling it down a little at a time.
Too bad the weather's a bit nippy for yard and garage sales, because we could bring in some serious pocket change. But, there again, garage sales are too much work. I equate it with grocery shopping.......Grab stuff off the store's shelves and pile all of it in your basket, then take it out and put in on the belt for the cashier, then load all that stuff in your car, then head home and take it all inside, unload the bags and put your purchases away on your own shelves. If I were planning a yard sale, (since we don't have a garage), I'd have take all the stuff to whatever area I plan to store it until the big day, then haul it outside and figure prices, hang out near it, then bring whatever's left inside that evening, and do it all again the next morning. Then if there's anything left, you have to pack it up and take it to a charitable organization. So, I might as well do that to begin with and be done with it, leaving with a tax write-off and a less cluttered house.
This morning I was able to pack up two trash bags of clothing from my room and I now can see the corner of the bed where the clothing sat waiting for me in a nice big pile. Progress.
I have made arrangements for a man to haul away some junk from my back yard, such as two old garage doors, a broken basketball hoop/pole, and my brother's burned up car from his teenage years. The firewood that I can no longer use because I replaced the fireplace with a pellet stove, will be given to a neighbor to free up space on my patio. I will list the car trailer that's sitting on deflated tires, in our regional Camera Ads to be sold to someone who can use it for its intended purpose. After the back yard is cleaned up, and the new fence is in place, we will renovate that area and finally use it for its intended purpose, as well.
But for now, it's time to rest. Goodnight, and again, Happy Birthday Uncle Lee!


Hey! You figured out the stretched-out entry problem! Or did it just solve itself? Well, things look much better now, anyway. Too bad you can't just load all your stuff up and take it to a local flea market to sell. You'll probably be better off just hauling it all out to Goodwill to begin with. Lisa :-]
ReplyDeleteDecluttering is great for the soul. It allows new energy to flow and for me after I declutter I feel so much better. I took a couple bags of things to The Goodwill today myself. I could stand to take more. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
ReplyDeleteWow, I admire the work you're doing -- even in the cold weather! You're going to have a beautiful home! I also love your description of the snowflakes like feathers! What imagery! Shana
ReplyDelete