Who could sleep at a time like this?
Fly Boy is on his way to Iraq.
I just got off the telephone with my precious Fly Boy and I tried to be strong, for him and me. He and 27 of his fellow soldiers; with family, friends and well-wishers nearby, are waiting to board the plane that will take them to Germany, then to a temporary training site in Kuwait. They'll brush up on things there, until heading for Iraq.
The majority of his unit left yesterday and he and Fall Girl were there to see them off. We had to laugh about the way that one went....he said that the families said their tearful goodbyes, and the soldiers marched off to board the plane, only to be allowed to go back and visit because their luggage hadn't been loaded! Then, after a second tearful goodbye, off they went again. A few minutes later they were back in the arms of their family due to some other delay!
By that time they were done with the crying and now they were laughing, saying....Will you just go already?!
Marco's family, (one of Fly Boy's best friends and room mates) ended up having their car break down so they spent the night with Scott and his bride, and were there to see him off this morning! I am so grateful, since I couldn't be there. Fall Girl surprised him by coming home from her training due to the long weeked, so she was able to be there too! I had her deliver my hugs and kisses!
I told Fly Boy how much I love him and how very proud I am of his many accomplishments. He knows he'll be in my thoughts and prayers constantly.
I told him to be extra safe and continually focused, but most of all, do his very best flying! I said..."Do you remember Papa's advise? He used to say, 'Always trust your instruments!' "
Fly Boy replied, "Yeah, and don't trust those people down below who are smiling and waving to you because as soon as you pass by, they're gonna shoot at ya!"
That's my boy!


God bless you and your Fly Boy. I suspect I'll be in your shoes some day sooner than I want to be. My son wants to enlist as soon as he is able. Shana
ReplyDeleteY'all are in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts and prayers are with you and most of all with Fly Boy.
ReplyDeleteOh, {{{{Lisa}}}}... You and Fly Boy will be in my thoughts today. May God keep him safe and bring him back to you soon. Lisa :-]
ReplyDeleteFly Boy is in my Prayers- please thank him for me, okay? Kristi
ReplyDelete