Friday, November 21, 2008

Spirituality and Creativity-The Artist's Way



Recently I picked up a second-hand copy of the book, The Artist's Way, Tenth Anniversary Edition, by Julia Cameron. The author says it's a spiritual path to higher creativity; a course in "Discovering and Recovering Your Creative Self."

I recall all the chatter about the book when it was first released years ago, but surprisingly, I didn't feel compelled to buy it and add it to the already bulging shelves of self-help books in my library. Maybe because I already had taken the liberty of referring to myself as an "artist" in a Been there...Done that, sorta way!

After all, I'd been artistic all my life. I still have really fond memories of the wonder and smell of a new box of 64 Crayola Crayons and the possibilities of stark white butcher paper!

crayons Pictures, Images and Photos

An old family story used to be told about how when I was just a tot, I discovered that a straight pin made the perfect object for carving fascinating hieroglyphics in the dark wood finish of the headboard on my bed. That interesting fact alone should make the Cave Man recognise my abilities at being the proper Cave Woman! LOL!

Julia Cameron says that creativity is a spiritual experience, and it doesn't matter which way you think of it: creativity leading to spirituality or spirituality leading to creativity. I like that. It works for simple minded me and I can easily wrap my creative brain around that concept.

The author talks about how critics have silenced our creative dreams. She says our creative artist is an inner youngster, and prone to childish thinking. If people along the way expressed doubt or disapproved of our dreams to make a living as an artist, or to just pursue an education in the arts; that attitude becomes a belief and stymies our creative growth.


Joseph Chilton Pearce is quoted in the book saying; To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.

I don't think I ever had any critics when it came to the various art forms I have chosen over the years to express my creative side, but I must have somewhere along the way. Maybe my mom did get pissed off when she found my expressive drawings on the headboard, but I sure don't recall getting in any trouble back then. That almost makes me feel sort of warm and fuzzy toward her!

And, my maternal Great Grandmother apparently recognised some potential in my crayon scribbles, because she left me about $2000 and a few shares of telephone stock to pursue art school, which I didn't do. But, I did take private Oil Painting Classes at different times in my adult life, so I didn't really screw off the money. Another plus, I still have the stocks!

But, I often have that fear of my art being WRONG as I jump whole-heartedly into being my own worst critic. It doesn't matter what art form I am dabbling in at the time....writing, painting, photography or the subsequent digital art that my photo edits may morph into; light years away from the original photograph, like the flowers above.

That feeling of not being "good enough" in comparison to others who also call themselves writers, artists, or photographers can be extremely disheartening. But, it's something I continue to work on and I am making some progress.

I've joined various photography groups, where I've displayed my work and received inspiring comments, and helpful critiques. This particular photo, turned "art" entitled, Holding My Hurting Heart, was honored by one of my groups with the "Best Effort" award by the moderators who are all incredible photographers in their own right.

Photobucket


Recently, I thought some of my photography "good enough" to enter into various contests and I was elated to find one of my photos published in the Capture Music City photography project, sponsored by the Tennesseean newspaper. Out of approximately 22, 600 photos submitted for consideration, ONE of mine was among the 224 or so selected to be published in the book!

The funny thing is...the photo that was selected for the project, was probably one of my least favorites out of the 20 or so that I submitted for consideration. Which just brings us to that old adage...Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder!

What the ---- do I know? What made me think that particular photo might be wrong? Because I am an amateur? Because I don't yet know how to play photographer with the BIG BOYS?

All I had to do was try and leave the results up to the Creator. I am now reaping the benefits of risking and growing as an artist and photographer.

I am looking forward using some of the lessons from The Artist's Way to improve my writing skills. While I'd love to be as funny as Remo or Ryak in my journal entries someday, I know will probably never compare. But, I am going to keep trying whether or not my internal critic begins telling me how WRONG it is....because, just maybe, there are people who don't read Remo and Ryak, who'll think I rock! (But, I don't know why they wouldn't read Remo and Ryak! Get goin' people!)

And the best thing of all, is when you get a comment from someone who can make a train wreck with casualties funny.... like Remo, who leaves a comment on one of your entries saying, "You crack me up!"

**beaming smile**

Thanks Remo! YOU ROCK!!!


Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. I could spout a bunch of fruit-speak about creativity but I think it's just about achieving a sort of ebb & flow between your thoughts and emotions and getting it to come out of your fingers, either through a keyboard or a paintbrush. Most of us remember the "feel" when we were creating our best products. That's the Genie in the bottle. You just have to coax her out. It doesn't hurt to leave your social filter in the nightstand.

    Takes one to know one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm just a new follower but you inspire me. Plus I think you are darn funny!

    I think we are the harshest critics with ourselves, which makes us just slightly human. ; )

    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seemed some Jesus lovers don't know about the unChristianlike spamming. Hmmm...

    Anyway, great post my friend. I bought that book when it FIRST came out and sadly, still have it...blank inside.

    Maybe YOU will inspire me!

    Nancy(Congrats on your guts for entering contests!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Thanks for your comment about the red-tailed hawk. I will remember it forever.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit...when it comes to art and photography, I have a deep appreciation, but no eye whatsoever. I've tried to be artsy with my photographs, but I'm just NOT.

    However, I think yours are beautiful. And you ARE good enough. Newbie or not, I appreciate your work immensely.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I offer no contest. But am seeking photos for my site as I want to encourage a variety of "eyes" of photographs to go with the variety of "voices" of the writing (which I hope you will do as well). If you are interested see the May I post on my blog and I would love to hear from you.

    http://picturespoetryprose.blogspot.com/2008/11/about-pictures-poetry-prose.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!