Sunday, February 15, 2004

New Age Grandma-An Essay...Part I

Nobody in this world has ever had a grandma like mine! My maternal grandmother, Jeanne Katherine Meyer, born May 8, 1915 was "new age" before the term was coined.  She has been described as a cross between "Auntie Mame"  and a Nancy Reagan type, without the wealthy airs and certainly more fun!

Grandma was beautiful, with coppery red hair she got from a drugstore bottle, and hazel-green eyes that sparkled continuously. She had smooth, soft skin that never seemed to wrinkle.  It remained that way until she died, way too soon.

I think Grandma was born into a family of beautiful people. Her mother, sister and brother were equally attractive. Her brother Jack was a photographer's model in his younger days and photographs of Jack modeling the latest gentleman's hat were prominently displayed throughout the family's spanish-style home.

Vain, energetic, oddly eccentric but progressive, my grandma dressed her willowy frame in fun, fashionable clothing.  She often accented her outfit  with a colorful scarf, covering her perfectly styled hair which was plastered with so much hairspray, her "do" could survive a 40 knot wind.  Her face was made up with the finest cosmetics that she purchased from the Broadway and May Company stores in her beloved Los Angeles. When I was young, I thought Grandma was the prettiest woman alive!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts!